In Response To 'The Health Of Nations' By Ryan Giannotto

CSOM '16

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 4, 2013 00:02

Ryan Giannotto’s Jan. 31 column touches on an issue that is at the heart of debate in America over the proper role of government in our economy. Sadly, that is the only positive thing I can say about it. Aside from the fact that Mr. Giannotto seems to have a severely flawed understanding of what the Affordable Care Act does (no honest reading of the law would come remotely close to "automatically granting ... free medical care"), he shockingly argues that since "thwarting death is futile," health care reform is a foolish endeavor—people will still die, after all, so they’ll never get the immortal life that they so clearly desire. More shocking, however, is his justification for not wanting to expand coverage: it would, he explains, simply cost too much for those poor insurance companies. While it’s not surprising at this point to see a Republican take the side of big business over the uninsured, it is still frightening.The insurance companies made $13 billion in 2010 profit—they’re doing fine. Our health care policy objectives shouldn’t be determined by referencing the bottom line of huge corporations. We should put people over profits and make sure that nobody in America dies because Aetna wouldn’t cover a life-saving surgery. Want to know what one life is worth? Head to the ICU at Massachusetts General and ask one of the patients’ families.