"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." -Elf

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2007

scene cover.jpg

Ryan Littman-Quinn, Sabrina Benedict, and Laura Campedelli

The holiday season is upon us at Boston College. We have experienced our first snowfall, and University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. made time in his busy schedule to set the campus aflame with Christmas lights. But when you start decorating your rooms with a cup of hot cocoa at your side, the silence will undoubtedly signal that something is missing. That something is of course the joyful sound of Christmas carols past and present. The Heights has compiled a list of the songs essential to getting in the Christmas spirit - as well as a list that would snap the jolly demeanor of Santa himself. So grab a radio and tune into the ultimate Christmas music guide.

The Heights Board also contributed to this report.

The Best

1. "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby

Coming from the classic movie of the same name, this undisputed champ has it all: the smooth crooner, the mention of snow, and the feeling of timeless nostalgia. The Irving Berlin song has stood the test of time, has been considered a standard for nearly 50 years, and is bound to last for at least 150 more.

2. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland

A pop-culture tidbit about this bittersweet holiday tune: Originally Garland was supposed to sing the line "Have yourself a merry little Chrismas, it may be your last." The songstress saw the line as too grim, and transformed the quip into the bittersweet sentiment we know today.

3. "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey

From now until Christmas break, exercise your inner creep and look into the windows of residence halls across campus. Undoubtedly, you will encounter girls dancing around in their snowman pajamas, belting out the chorus of this one at the top of their lungs and into their hairbrushes.

4. "Merry Christmas Happy Holidays" by NSYNC

That's right - a boy band made our top five list. Before you judge us though, watch the music video on YouTube. The utter cheesiness of the '90s shines through like the star on top of the tree, and you will completely understand why this was the inception of Mr. Sexyback himself.

5. "Christmas Don't Be Late" by Alvin and the Chipmunks

From boy bands to fictional chipmunks, this is the perfect cap to our best list. The insanity of Dave, the simplicity of wanting a hula hoop for the most commercial holiday of them all - they all come together to put the rodents on Christmas playlists everywhere.

6. "Gramdma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" by Elmo & Patsy

This was the song that split The Heights in two. Some people professed their vehement love, citing various past experiences where they put out rewards for said reindeer, needing a hit-animal for their own grandmothers. The rest of us simply do not get it.

The Worst

5. "Santa Baby"

by Eartha Kitt

Since when was an obese man with a long white beard the object of sexual affection? Somehow, Kitt's cat-like voice makes Santa Claus seem like an absolute sexpot. Survey says? Utterly disturbing.

4. "My Favorite Thing" by Rod Stewart

Somehow this theater tune from The Sound of Music has been claimed by Saint Nicholas. While Julie Andrews brings a certain frankness as she turns her curtains into clothes, Rod Stewart's shoddy attempt is ruined by his guttural growl.

3. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jackson 5

Christmas tree: $70. Mistletoe: $1. Santa beard: $5. The cost of this child's medical bills when he realizes that his parents were role playing: priceless.

2. "12 Pains of Christmas" by Bob Rivers

Think of the most annoying things to do for Christmas and put them to the tune of "The 12 Days of Christmas." While things like finding a Christmas tree and sending out cards are rather cumbersome, this song completely detracts from the giving spirit of the yuletide season.

1. "Christmas Shoes" by Brian Free & Assurace

How did the most depressing song known to man become a song for the happiest time of year? For those who are not acquainted with the sob story, it chronicles the story of a young, poor boy, trying to buy shoes for his dying mother. Tears will flow.