BC sailors ranked fifth in nation

Published: Monday, October 16, 2000

sailboats2.jpg

Heights File Photo

Tyler Pruett and Elise Mazareas will be representing BC at the Goodwill Regatta in California over Thanksgiving.

The most recent Sailing World magazine poll of college sailing coaches ranked BC as the fifth-best team in the nation, the best ranking the Eagles have had in three years.

Recent highlights for the co-ed team include Tyler Pruett and crew Elise Mazareas taking second place in the Hood Trophy at Tufts and first place at the Danmark Trophy at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut.

“In years past, BC has always done poorly at the Danmark,” said Elise Mazareas. “We managed to do really well. Tyler and I took first in the A division and we placed fourth overall.”

The Eagle sailors have also noticed a marked improvement in team racing. Team racing is a highly competitive aspect of college racing where each school has three boats in a race, and two schools compete with six boats total in each race. The teams use a variety of techniques, including trying to prevent a competitor’s boat from rounding a mark so a teammate can race ahead, all in order to finish the race with a winning combination.

After a tough first competition, the Eagles managed to pull it together in a team race at Tufts University last weekend, taking second place after nearly beating third-ranked Tufts and their home court advantage.

“It came down to the last race, and even though we didn’t win, we definitely have improved our team racing strategies,” said Annie Siegal.

Sophomore sailor Mark Teborek qualified for New England Singlehanded Championships. The singlehanded regatta was held at the University of Vermont on Lake Champlain. After a long weekend of sailing, Teborek ended up in sixth place. Although only the top four competitors go to National Singlehanded Championships, Teborek was only trailing the top four by a few points.

“I was disappointed that I didn’t qualify for nationals, but I was glad that I could go to New Englands as a sophomore — now I have two more years to try and get to nationals,” Teborek said.

Pruett and Mazareas were selected to go to the Goodwill Regatta, held over Thanksgiving weekend at the Newport Harbor Yacht Club in California. The Goodwill is the premiere international college sailing regatta designed to bring the best American and Japanese college sailors together to compete. Participants are chosen from their collegiate sailing regions, and New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association chose BC’s Pruett and Mazareas based on their strong performance throughout their college sailing careers.

Pruett, a junior originally from California, said, “I’m happy to be able to represent BC and New England at such a major regatta. It’s also great to be able to sail in California again.”

Mazareas agrees that Thanksgiving in California will be a great time.

“I have always wanted to go to the Goodwill,” she said. “I’m so excited, I still can’t believe I’m going.”

The women’s team is currently ranked 12th in the Sailing World poll. At a recent competition at the U.S. Naval Academy, the Women’s team placed 10th out of 19 teams.

“We took advantage of the great competition and learned a lot that will help us in upcoming regattas, especially in the Atlantic Coastal Championships,” said Cryssa Byers, one of the women’s team captains.

The Eagle sailors are trying to stay focused on maintaining that success for the rest of their season and doing well at the Atlantic Coastal Championships at the end of their season in mid-November.