Crash claims BC frosh

Published: Monday, September 1, 2003

Boston College student Gregory Monack, 19, died at Boston University Medical Center after in an early morning car crash on Wednesday, June 11. Monack, a Milton resident, had just completed his freshman year at BC.

Monack was driving home by himself when he lost control of his 1995 Toyota Celica and hit a tree along the Truman Parkway in Milton at 3:40 a.m. Monack had been at a friend's house in Wellesley earlier in the night, playing wiffle ball and hanging out with friends from high school, according to his friend, Ben Lieff, A&S '06.

Preliminary evidence led authorities to believe that speeding could have been a factor leading to Monack's accident. Though police said that he was not wearing a seatbelt, they noted that alcohol did not appear to be a cause of the accident.

In January 2001, Monack received a speeding ticket, and had been involved in a car accident in November 2000.

Although Monack graduated from Noble & Greenough School in Dedham, he had many friends from rival school Milton Academy.

Lieff said Monack helped "bridge the gap" between students at the two schools, creating "one big social crowd," Lieff told The Heights.

"Nobody doesn't like Greg," he said. "I made a lot of friends through Greg."

In high school, Monack played football and lacrosse, and excelled in academics.

Outside of the classroom, Monack enjoyed music and volunteering around the community.

He also served as the sports editor for Noble & Greenough's student newspaper, according to the Patriot Ledger.

At BC, Monack was enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences Honors Program, and planned to major in economics.

David Botwinik, Monack's professor in the Honors Program, said Monack always added to class discussion.

"He pushed to put things in a broader context," he said. Botwinik described Monack as "lively and yet well-mannered."

"It was his immense loyalty to his friends that stood out. He had an ability to make everyone smile and laugh," Nick Marinaro, Monack's high school math teacher and former football coach, told The Boston Globe.

Marinaro said Monack would make comments and ask questions that were "so astute that at times they left everyone in shock."

Monack lived in Cushing Hall on Newton Campus, yet remained in close contact with his friends from home who lived on Upper.

"He went home a lot and had a lot of friends on Upper Campus that he was friends with from high school," said Tim Williamson, Monack's RA and A&S '04.

Williamson described Monack as a good kid. "He was never any of the kids I had to worry about for causing problems."

Lieff said Monack liked college and being on his own.

Monack enjoyed Kelly's Roast Beef, Anna's Taqueria, listening to different types of music including Phish and the Grateful Dead, and playing video games, football, and lacrosse, said Lieff.

He had planned on going out for the club lacrosse team at BC this year.

Monack is survived by his parents Donald and Susan, and his older sister Julia.

In a prepared statement for The Patriot Ledger, Susan Monack said that, "Greg was an outgoing, personable, warm, caring person who had many friends."

"He loved sports and traveling with his family and family vacations on Cape Cod where he held several summer job," she continued. "He enjoyed a close relationship with his older sister, and was a kind and generous brother."

A funeral Mass was held in the First Parish Unitarian Church, Milton, on June 14. Burial services followed in Milton Cemetery.

Nancy E. Reardon contributed to this report.