Freshmen Enjoy First Week Events

Published: Monday, September 11, 2000

The Class of 2004’s first full week at Boston College was enhanced by a variety of social events last week. The annual series of icebreakers, known as First Week, provided freshmen with an opportunity to strengthen their newfound friendships, while also giving many their first taste of what Boston has to offer.

This year, the First Week programming consisted of seven events. Incoming freshmen purchased one of several First Week ticket packages offered to them over the summer. According to Christopher Darcy, Assistant Dean of the Office of Student Development (ODSD), this year over 1,600 First Week ticket packages were sold to a class of 2,180 students.

The first event featured was a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston last Sunday, sponsored by the Residence Hall Association and the Academic Vice President’s Office. Freshmen were transported from campus to the MFA by bus. Upon arrival, students were served dinner and entertained by several BC a cappella groups. They were then free to explore the museum’s exhibits, including “Van Gogh: Face to Face.”

According to Darcy, approximately 1,400 freshmen visited the MFA. He said that the annual museum trip “is always a great opening icebreaker, especially because it’s on Sunday night, so soon after everyone’s parents leave.”

Darcy stated that last Monday the events were scheduled to continue with an Opening Carnival. Weather concerns, however, required that the carnival be rescheduled to appear on the Dustbowl as part of Springfest in April.

Darcy expressed that planning such outdoor events requires a great deal of planning and preparation in case of uncooperative weather. The overcast skies that jeopardized the carnival never did rain, allowing for the outdoor showing of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” on O’Neill Plaza later that evening. The outdoor movie night was sponsored by the Residence Hall Association.

Last Wednesday, as the First Week events continued, 1,500 freshmen traveled to Fenway Park to watch the Boston Red Sox play against the Oakland A’s. For many freshmen, it was also their first experience riding the Green Line of the T into Boston. Although the Red Sox were defeated 6-4, Darcy noted that “there was a really great amount of spirit” among BC’s large representation in the crowd.

Vicky Lucia, A&S ’04, was part of this BC crowd at Fenway. She said, “It was great that were so many BC people there. I had lots of fun, even though it was a little cold.” She added that she discovered the next day that one of her new friends had been captured in a Boston Globe photograph of the game.

Red Sox fan Vanessa Rose, A&S ’04, also enjoyed the baseball game. “I thought it was a really good idea to have all the freshmen go to a game like this together,” Rose said.

Writer and lecturer Kevin Powell delivered a keynote address to a crowd of approximately 125 freshmen in Conte Forum last Thursday night. The former Real World cast member advised the students “how you approach this chapter in your life journey will probably dictate the way you are the rest of your life.”

Darcy expressed great satisfaction with Powell’s speech to the freshmen, stating that “it was a very powerful message for them in terms of individual choices and responsibility.” He added that he “felt that Powell’s talk gave the freshmen excellent things to think about as they determine where their next four years here at BC will go.”

The annual lobster bake was also held last Friday. Dan Cheron, A&S ’04, was one of many freshmen who traveled to Newton Campus for the lobster bake. “It was a great way to relax on a Friday. My first week of classes kept me pretty busy,” Cheron said. “I thought the a cappella groups that performed at the lobster bake were a nice touch,” he added.

The First Week events concluded Sunday night in the Power Gym with one of the most popular events in the series, a show by R-rated hypnotist Frank Santos. Darcy stated that, in the past, “we’ve had great feedback about Frank Santos’ show.”

It is this feedback from year to year, Darcy added, that has turned Santos’ show, the lobster bake and other First Week attractions into favorite traditions for new freshmen. “In fact, we find that when people hear the term ‘First Week,’ they immediately think of the Red Sox game, the lobster bake, and Frank Santos,” Darcy said.