News and Notes: Kal Penn, actor, producer, and teacher, comes to BC

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kal Penn, the actor best known for his role as Kumar in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, will be on campus today in support of Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign. Penn has visited a number of universities in support of Obama. The event will be held today at 4:30 p.m. in McGuinn 121. The College Democrats of Boston College are hosting the event. Penn has notably appeared in The Namesake, as well as on the television shows House and 24. Penn also currently teaches two spring semester courses at the University of Pennsylvania as a guest instructor.

ON CAMPUS BostonConnects expands with help from $4.6 million grant BostonConnects, an education reform program run by Boston College, is expanding its reach with the help of a $4.6 million grant from New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc. The program also received $2 million from Strategic Grant Partners and $1 million from the Charles Hayden Foundation. BostonConnects coordinates a number of services, including health care and family services, to 14 Boston public schools. "This kind of collaboration with the Boston Public Schools, our foundation partners, and community-based organizations is critical to improving the lives and education of children, particularly those living in poverty," Dean of the Lynch School of Education Rev. Joseph O'Keefe, S.J., told reporters.

UNIVERSITIES Senate Finance Committee takes aim at endowments The Senate Finance Committee has begun an inquiry into the spending habits of 136 colleges. The inquiry is intended to investigate the way the colleges spend funds from their endowments and the effect that financial aid policies are having on the affordability of a college eduction. The colleges received letters from two senators. The colleges all had an endowment of over $500 million as reported in June 2007. With the cost of attending college rising at a steady rate, the Senate inquiry is intended to develop a better understanding of financial policies among wealthy universities.

Georgetown students' identity information at risk The theft of a computer hard drive at Georgetown University might put students in danger of identity theft. The hard drive, which was stolen earlier this month, contained the names and Social Security numbers of thousands of students. The hard drive contained information on 38,000 students, faculty, and staff. So far, it does not seem as though anyone has suffered from identity theft, but Georgetown is offering the involved parties free credit monitoring to prevent any potential abuses. The device was stolen from a locked room on Jan. 3, but it took several weeks to assess the repercussions of the theft.

UNDER REPORTED The time to use up those frequent-flyer miles has come German travel agency OssiUrlaub.de plans to begin offering bookings for a nudist flight that will transport passengers on a day trip to a Baltic Sea resort. Passengers will have to remain clothed until they are on board the flight and while disembarking. While on board, clothes are strictly optional. Managing Director Enrico Hess told reporters that the idea for the nude flight came from a customer suggestion. Nudist airlines are apparently something of an unexplored niche market. Hess told reporters that he does not want people to get the wrong impression of the travel company. "It's not that we're starting a swinger club in mid air," he said.