News and Notes: New shuttle connects Brighton and Main Campus

Published: Monday, September 8, 2008

A shuttle running from Brighton Campus to Main Campus is now available during the week. The shuttles will run Monday through Friday beginning at 8:45 a.m., and the last shuttle will arrive back in Brighton at 6:15 p.m. on days when classes are in session. They will leave from Brighton Gym 15 minutes before and after every hour, stopping at St. Ignatius, Conte Forum, College Road bus stop, and St. Thomas More Hall circle. The new shuttle is meant to alleviate the need to move vehicles to and from one campus to the other.It will not run on weekends, evenings, or holidays.

ON CAMPUS

McMullen Museum of Art celebrates Georges Rouault

The McMullen Museum of Art is hosting the exhibit Mystic Masque: Sembance and Reality in Georges Rouault. The exhibit runs from Aug. 30 through Dec. 7, and displays more than 180 paintings, stained glass, and works on paper, many of which have never before been exhibited in North America. "Drawing largely on the unique resources of the Boston College faculty in multiple disciplines, the McMullen is pleased to offer this re-examination, and in several cases new interpretations, of Georges Rouault's oeuvre in the most comprehensive exhibition of his work mounted in North America in several decades," said Nancy Netzer, McMullen Museum Director, in a press release.

UNIVERSITIES Boston University adds a new option to vending machines

In addition to chips and candy, vending machines at Boston University will now offer condoms. The Trojan Elexa, which are sold in packs of two for $2.50 in cash or "convenience" points, are now available in machines in 12 large residence halls during the school year. "It's kind of a vending transaction like any of the other vending transaction. The vending areas are, in a sense, in traffic areas, but the transaction has a degree of privacy," David Zamojski, Director of Residential Life and Assistant Dean of Students, told The Daily Free Press. BU student health services also provides free and discounted condoms.

UNDER REPORTED Frustrated by morning delays, Argentineans torch train

Frustrated by delays in their morning commute, angry passengers set fire to a train on Thursday in Argentina. Commuters blocked the rails, hurling stones at the ticket office at the Castelar station in Buenos Aires, while the burning train was engulfed in flames at another nearby station. The delays, which were caused by a broken-down train, prohibited some passengers from reaching work. The aging rail services have prompted violent outbursts in the past as well, resulting in another carriage fire and riots last year. A spokesperson for rail company Trenes de Buenos Aires told reporters that while the company sympathized with the passengers' frustration, attacking the train is unacceptable.