Student sexually assaulted at Reservoir

Published: Thursday, February 17, 2005

A forcible sex offense that occurred on Feb. 4 was reported by a female Boston College student yesterday, prompting BCPD to release a Campus Watch notice detailing the incident.

The student was assaulted by two males wearing sweatshirts with their hoods up at the Reservoir inside the iron fence area.

She was attacked between the hours of 8 and 9 p.m., which reduced her ability to give clear descriptions of her attackers. Therefore, no composite sketch was available to help identify the perpetrators. She did manage to describe them as being in their early to mid-20s.

BCPD Capt. Margaret Connolly said the coming of spring and the level of activity around the Reservoir make the area especially prone to dangerous situations.

"As much as it's a beautiful area and a beautiful area to go running or walking, running alone and with headphones on no matter where you are is an issue," she said.

Connolly said the dense foliage around the area also contributes to its high level of dodgy activity.

"[Chief Robert Morse] has been working with the state to get some of the brush cleared back," she said.

She noted that many people, not just BC students but also Brookline residents, jog around the Reservoir due to its easy access and relaxed path along Commonwealth Avenue.

"You know exactly how far around it was and you can clock your minutes. With the [Boston] Marathon coming around, more and more people are training and by themselves, too," said Connolly. "If you sit back and watch that area on any given day you'll see people by themselves, and unfortunately, that's what perpetrators look for."

Shady activity is not new to the area. Last spring, two men exposed themselves to students at the Reservoir on two separate occasions in broad daylight. BCPD continually advises students not to wear headphones while jogging or jog alone around the Reservoir.

"We recommend having people put the telephone numbers [of police units] in their cell phones so they can make the immediate call for help," she said. "If something suspicious happens some one can respond right away."

She cited instances where a student who calls 911 directly would be forwarded to the state police, who would in turn have to figure out where in the state the student is located. Programming the number into a phone would avoid this process.

"When someone is a victim in an instance like this they have their own personal reasons in why there's a delay but the most important thing is that it was reported," she added.

With springtime around the corner, Connolly said the area will receive a greater police presence to protect those who jog around the Reservoir.

"I do hope people will start looking at their own personal safety in their own light," she said.