The Heights brings home ACP honors

Published: Monday, October 30, 2006

The Heights has been named a finalist by the Associated Collegiate Press for its 2006 Overall Newspaper Pacemaker award - the most prestigious award given to college newspapers. It was the first time in The Heights' history that it was named a finalist.

"This is a huge accomplishment for the paper, and it speaks to the dedication and talent of not just this year's editors and staff members, but those in recent years who helped us get to this level," said editor-in-chief Tom Wiedeman, A&S '08.

Layout editor Sonny Fabbri, A&S '07, took home the biggest individual Pacemaker when he was awarded Design of the Year for his illustration accompanying a story on alternatives to partying. The design was a bottle of alcohol warped to look like an hour glass.

Fabbri and assistant layout editor Mary Lentowski, A&S '08, also took home a third place design award for their infographic of a Scantron sheet superimposed on a bottle for a story on alcohol screenings. The final individual award garnered by The Heights went to former sports editor, Kevin Armstrong, BC '06, who picked up honorable mention for sports story of the year for his feature on former BC quarterback Quinton Porter's struggle with overcoming the death of his father.

For the third straight year, www.bcheights.com was also named one of 11 finalists nationwide for the Online Pacemaker award as the best college newspaper Web site.

The awards were chosen by editors of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"We're certainly honored by these accolades, but are most excited to continue improving our product and providing the BC community with a top-notch newspaper," said Wiedeman.