Food, Foil and Fun

Published: Monday, January 15, 2001

Back to school again, and that means back to the dining hall. Since the dining hall appeals to few, the recipes below are simple, can be made at home and are an alternative to the long lines at Lower or McElroy. Aluminum foil is the key staple for each, making life exceptionally easy for the roommate who gets stuck doing the dishes every night. Foil Packet Cooking is a method of cooking that takes almost no time, is healthy and creates fun and tasty dinners.

Chicken Parmesan with Fresh Veggies Prep time: 25 minutes Serves: 4 Ingredients: 4 sheets (12x18 inches each) aluminum foil 1 small onion, sliced 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 zucchini, sliced 1 cup tomato sauce 1 cup cut carrots Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. 2. Center onion on foil sheets. Top with chicken breast, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, zucchini and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. 3. Wrap and seal foil to form four packets. 4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes on a cookie sheet.

Tuscan Swordfish Prep time: 20 minutes Serves: 4 Ingredients: 4 sheets (12x18 inches each) aluminum foil 2 cans (15.5 oz) each, Cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained 2 medium tomatoes, chopped 4 tbsp. prepared pesto, divided 4 (4 to 6 oz) swordfish steaks 4 tsp. lemon juice 4 lemon slices Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. 2. Combine beans, tomato and two tablespoons pesto; mix well. 3. Center one-quarter of bean mixture on each foil sheet. Top with fish; drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle fish with lemon pepper. Top with lemon slices. 4. Wrap and seal foil to form four packets. 5. Bake 16 to 20 minutes on a cookie sheet. 6. Serve with remaining pesto. Don’t feel like you have to follow the recipe exactly: Add or omit the extras as you see fit.

Chicken and Vegetables with Roasted Garlic Marinade Prep time: 60 minutes Serves: 4 Ingredients: 1 bag (40 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 1 cup roasted garlic dressing 1 tbsp. flour Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. 2. Pull out large piece of foil; fold over to add thickness. 3. Place vegetables on one side of foil. 4. Place chicken breasts on top of vegetables. 5. Mix dressing with flour; pour over chicken. Fold over the foil, being sure to crimp all edges so that packet is sealed. 6. Transfer foil packet to baking sheet; bake 55 minutes on center rack of oven. Recipes courtesy of www.wegamns.com.