Undercooked Meat Warnings a BCDS Legal Precaution

Published: Monday, January 29, 2001

“Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.”

This warning has made an appearance near food counters and registers in all dining halls on campus this semester. Concerned about the quality of their food, many students have questioned the motives behind these postings. Students should rest assured that Boston CollegeDining Services (BCDS) has not suddenly decided that fully cooking food is an unnecessary practice. These signs are the result of a recent state mandate that extends to all food facilities.

As of January 1, the Massachusetts Restaurant Association (MRA), required all its members to post one of four possible reminders in a place where it is likely to be seen by consumers, such as in a menu or by a counter. The guidelines state that “Massachusetts New Sanitary Code requires a Consumer Advisory for any raw animal product that is served or allowed to be served raw or undercooked, or any menu item that many contain raw or undercooked animal products.”

The purpose of the warning is simply to keep people informed that there are certain health risks associated with the consumption of animal products, and not in any way to infer that these foods are not being prepared properly.

Patricia Bando, director of Dining Services at BC, emphasized the fact that all food items served at BC are cooked fully and properly. No raw food products are offered; even the sushi contains only cooked fish.

Students should notice these signs in all restaurants. If an establishment fails to comply, it will be subject to punishment by the authorities once an inspection has been conducted.