Christy Berkery: "That Blond Girl Who Takes Pictures"

Published: Thursday, December 9, 2004

Click here to see the print version of Christy's Swan Song

Let me start with this: I don't hate the Heights. Despite the fact that I complain more than anyone else, I love what I do at the Heights. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here today. I know I have given people the idea that this has been a negative experience for me, but in the long run it has been one of the most amazing things I have ever been a part of, but the fact that I didn't show that more is one of my biggest regrets. The Heights has been one of the most difficult things I have done in my life, but it has also been the most fullfilling. I have loved my last two years as Photo Editor and I have learned a lot; how to harrass my staff into taking lecture photos, how to successfully annoy the shit out of Tim, how to get Armstrong to let me design the sports section, and so much more. A page is not nearly enough room for me to do the experience justice or explain all the people who have effected me so much, so I will leave it at this:

If I really hated it, I wouldn't be here. I have loved the last few years, despite the hard times, and I wouldnt change it for the world. For the record: I love the Heights.

J.O.S... I wanted to say thanks for all the opportunities you have given me....and when you give me the tree (I know you are hiding it and just blaming Larry) I will thank you for that too. In the meantime just call me next time you do an Irish bar tour and need a photographer.

Sam & Jeff...I don't know if either of you will ever read this but I wanted to say that without all the lies you guys told to get a scared freshman from Newton to run for photo editor, I wouldn't be here. In all sincerity, thank you for lying to me.

Meyer...I know that secretly you really just moved to Chicago to hang out with me. And I respect that. I mean who wouldn't? I can't tell you how glad I am that I get to keep hanging out with you (especially in the greatest city in the world). I think everyone is jealous (ok at least Mo is).

Chris...There's nothing I could say in this space that could do our friendship justice. We've been through a lot and I know we will be friends for a long time. Your name comes up a lot in the office and all I can say is we miss your perpetual pessimism and negative comments towards the football team around the office....oh wait, no we don't....but we do miss you. A lot.

Remy...Thank you for putting up with me last year. Now you and Todd can bond over what a bitch I can be to work with. We really do miss all of your random, random comments in the office, but I know you are keeping busy... and I hear you play a damn god woman. Good luck with that.

Jake...You told me I was going to find my place on the Heights this year; that I would finally feel like I had a say in things. You were right. It's not the same without you there to "save the world with me" or to threaten my computer, but if it helps I do think of you every time I have any computer problem.

Nancy...I still have inspirational emails saved from you from my freshman year. You talked about finding "it"...and I rolled my eyes...Now I know what you were talking about. It might have taken me a little longer than most but I did find my place on the Heights and, through all of my complaining, I do love it.

Amanda...I really wish we had gotten to know each other more, and I mean that in the most sincere way possible. You seem like such an awesome girl and someone I could really be good friends with. Plus, if Armweak approved you for the 5-on-5 team (or was it 5-on-4?) than you must be pretty cool.

Skvasik...Even though I wanted to kill you at the time, I love the CD now and I owe it to you, you drunk, drunk boy.

Sara...You might be one of the most blatantly honest people I have met and I love it. You say what's on your mind and it's usually either really sincere or hilarious and I have loved getting to know you. Don't let Tim make fun of you for going to Roggie's...I think he just wants to come.

Christina (Martha Stewart)...Enjoy the sex books. I expect some thorough "How To" columns next semester.

John Murray...I can't just call you "John" or "Murray." You will always be "John-Murray." You are the only non-Chicagoan I know who appreciates the city as much as I do and that wins major points with me. The constant references to Ditka, DA Bears, Harry Carray, the Cubs, and Jimmy Buffett only help.

Switajma...There is so much to you that people don't get to see; so much under the sexual harassment and inappropriate comments (actually there's a lot more comments, but under those...). I don't know what we would do without you. Seriously, though. You make our jobs doable.

Jess...Let me take you back to freshman year: You & Me (aka the dream team) made Chris & Jake cry like little girls. You are a fabulous Beirut partner and an even better friend and I will never forget our team or the New Hampshire hot tub bonding. Only you would ask me if I would rather be called a girl or woman when you compliment me. You are an amazing girl/woman (I forgot to check with you on your preference).

Sean...You are one funny kid and I wish you let everyone see that more often. You are one of the few people I really hung out with in New Hampshire and it was pretty damn fun, even if we did try to lay out in 60 degree weather. Talk More.

Steph...If I ever feel the need to gossip about boys on campus (me? never) I know were to come. You are hilarious and always good for a laugh...We still need to finish that top 5, although I know which red-head is the top of your list. Seriously though, I've told you before but I really respect what you did. You followed what you wanted and risked the security you had and made the harder decision but I think it makes you a better person in the long run and I really admire that.