Acappellafest Sells Out Robsham, Raises Over $5,500 For Charity

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2012

sing

Emily Fahey / Heights Staff

On Saturday night, the Robsham Theater hosted the 2012 Acappellafest in front of a sold-out crowd. Nearly 600 members of the Boston College community attended the event, which featured BC’s 10 a cappella groups: the Acoustics, Against the Current, B.E.A.T.S. (Black Experience of America Through Song), the Bostonians, the Dynamics, the Heightsmen, the Madrigals, Shaan, the Sharps, and Voices of Imani. The event, organized by the Acoustics, raised over $5,500 for the Morgan Center, a preschool for children battling cancer. This was the first year the proceeds of Acappellafest went to a charity.

The Morgan Center was founded in 2003 in honor of Morgan Zuch, who was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 2. Morgan is now in high school and cancer-free. Last year, the Acoustics sang at the Morgan Center during their spring tour. The a cappella group invited the Morgan Center’s founders, Rod Zuch and NancyLee Zuch, and their children Morgan and Trevor to this year’s Acappellafest.

“We really wanted to continue a connection with the Zuchs and give something back to the family,” said Matthew Johnson, president of the Acoustics and A&S ’13. “We also wanted to remain in line with the BC tradition of men and women for others.”

Morgan and her family sat among the BC community during Saturday’s Acappellafest. The Heightsmen, the only all-male a cappella group on campus, brought Morgan on stage and serenaded her to “My Girl” by The Temptations. Later, Morgan spoke to the audience about her experience as a cancer survivor.

“As you can see, I’m doing great,” Morgan said. “I’m so happy to be here and so glad to have the Morgan Center so that children can have the experience that I couldn’t.”

Her father, Rod Zuch, thanked the BC community for their generosity and support. He also jokingly warned the Heightsmen.

“Hey Heightsmen!” Zuch said. “She’s only in high school!”

The Acappellafest has been held in Robsham Theater as a non-ticketed event since 2008. Last year, the festival had an unprecedented turnout. With over an hour until Acappellafest, there was a line stretching from the lobby of Robsham to the Mod parking lot. Johnson estimates there were around 1,300 to 1,500 students waiting for the show.

“We had an explosion in terms of attendance that we didn’t expect,” Johnson said. “Coming back this year, there were discussions between myself, the Student Programs Office, and the Robsham staff about whether or not we could host it in Robsham again.”

In an effort to control the attendance of this year’s Acappellafest, the Acoustics and the staff of Robsham Theater chose to ticket the event and hire BCPD and TeamOps. The event proved to be a great success, showcasing the talents of every BC a cappella group. Although Johnson will soon be graduating, he hopes the Acoustics and Robsham staff will continue this fundraising tradition in the coming years.

“I do hope that the Acoustics, if they remain the future organizers of the show, will continue to make it a charity-oriented event,” Johnson said. “And I hope we can continue our relationship with the Morgan Center.”