AD leaves a legacy and unanswered questions

The sudden retirement of DeFilippo reminds us of his great career, but his media hesitancy taint

Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On Aug. 17, Boston College Athletics Director Gene DeFilippo announced that he is stepping down after 15 years at the helm of Eagles athletics, citing his recent diagnosis of treatable skin cancer. The Heights would like to thank DeFilippo for his years of service and dedication.    

When the former Villanova University AD took over in 1997, the Eagles were under scrutiny for what was then the largest collegiate gambling scandal in the history of the NCAA. DeFilippo straightened out the program, creating an athletic department that aligned with the University’s Jesuit ideals. Later, he oversaw BC’s full membership into the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) from the Big East. Under the leadership of DeFilippo, BC won four National Championships in men’s hockey, had 12 consecutive winning seasons and 11 team and individual National Championships in sailing. Financially, athletic donations went from $5 million to $20 million last year.

While the last few years have proved challenging for BC football, The Heights respects the work DeFilippo has done during his time here. Nonetheless, we hope that he will sit down for one more interview before his official retirement on Sept. 30. While we understand that there has been scrutiny of the athletic department’s management over the last few years, The Heights feels that the lack of openness in not speaking to the media may have a negative impact on the public view of DeFilippo and BC athletics in general.