Advising Week Kicks Off With Help For Undeclared

Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Academic Advising Week officially began on Monday with an advising event held in Devlin 101 at which panelists spoke to undeclared students about what factors to consider when choosing a major at Boston College. The event was the first of several that will take place on campus this week.

Organized both by the Academic Advising Center and the UGBC Cabinet’s Academic Advising Coordinators, Academic Advising Week features a series of events designed to teach students about the resources available to them on campus. Academic Advising Week has two UGBC co-coordinators, Samantha Sklar, LSOE ’14, and Kara Naccarelli, A&S ’15, who have been working with administrators to coordinate these events.

Sklar said she hopes that Monday night’s event served as an informal advising session, as well as an opportunity for undeclared students to hear about the experiences of others during the major selection process.

“One of our main goals it to help undeclared freshmen and sophomores find their way to the correct resources,” Sklar said.

Naccarelli expressed a similar interest in helping to guide students through the advising process. “We wanted to provide them with an informal environment in which they could express their concerns and have their questions answered by people who are happy to help,” she said.

Sklar and Naccarelli have already received positive feedback from students. “Soon after our first event, Sam and I were debriefing in Devlin when a freshman came to the door and thanked us for holding the panel,” Nacarelli said. “She said she left feeling much more comfortable about the process of choosing a major. It was so fulfilling to hear that we were providing a resource that students clearly feel is necessary.”
Many students on the Heights feel that true academic advising is only available to students who have established strong relationships with professors within their respective departments. Academic Advising Week is meant to show students that this is not the case, the coordinators said.

“There are places on campus, such as the Academic Advising Center and Career Center, which are open to all students,” Sklar said. “We want students to realize this invaluable resource they have right on campus, and to understand how approachable everyone truly is.”
Both the Academic Advising Center and the Career Center are accessible for advice on coursework while at BC. The Academic Advising Center is located in the Bourneuf House on College Road, and the Career Center is located in Southwell Hall at 38 Commonwealth Avenue, just across from Dunkin’ Donuts.

Sklar and Naccarelli feel that the Major and Minor Fair, which took place on Tuesday, Oct. 16 in the Higgins Atrium, was the most impactful of the events that have taken place this week. The event featured students and faculty from many different minors and majors. “We deliberately chose to have at least one student and one professor representing each department so that the students walking around can hear all the perspectives,” Sklar said.

The final event was held on Wednesday, Oct. 17 in Fulton 511 and featured representatives from the BC Career Center. The event covered the practical applications of many majors and how to go about an internship search, among various other topics.

“We just want to break down some of the perceived barriers that I believe surround the advising system here at BC,” Naccarelli said. “We want students to know that there are resources out there, and that it is okay to feel ‘undeclared and unprepared.’”