Alleged Attack Not Confirmed By PD Reports

Students Debate The Issue Via Social Media

News Editor

Published: Monday, April 23, 2012

Last weekend, Paige Rojas, A&S ’15, was allegedly assaulted on consecutive nights by a white male in a grey hooded sweatshirt. According to Rojas’ reports to the BCPD, the alleged attacks occurred near the Ignacio stairs early Saturday morning, and then again early Sunday morning outside Corcoran Commons.

In interviews, several administrators stated their belief that the events as reported to BCPD did not occur. They expressed their hope to work with any students who may be concerned about campus safety or hate crime protocol, however.

Rojas said she believes she was targeted because of her race, stating that the attacker called her a “dirty Spic” before attacking her.

The first attack is alleged to have occurred around 1:40 a.m. Saturday morning near the Ignacio stairs and Campanella Way, roughly 100 yards from the BCPD station and near an emergency blue box. The attacker allegedly used a racial epithet during the assault on Rojas. In her report to police, Rojas was unable to describe the events of the attack exactly, but stated that the attacker grabbed hold of her leg, causing scratch wounds. It is not clear whether the attacker had a weapon. After the attack, Rojas told police that she returned to her room, but was later convinced by her friends to go to Health Services.

Officers of the BCPD met with Rojas at Health Services around 3 a.m. Saturday morning and took her report on the events of the night.

The second attack is alleged to have occurred around 1:15 a.m. outside Corcoran Commons. Rojas stated that the same attacker found her again and kicked her in the wounds that had been created the previous night. Rojas did not report the second attack until Sunday afternoon.

Rojas was contacted for an interview but was unavailable for comment.

On Monday morning, BCPD posted a Facebook status concerning the alleged attacks.

“A female student has reported being assaulted (kicked and scratched) two consecutive nights in a row on campus by the same individual,” the status read. “The first incident was on Campanella Way on April 14 about 1:40 a.m., the second outside of the Commons at about 1:15 a.m. on April 15. The victim reports the suspect was a white male, 5’9”, wearing a grey ‘hoodie’ and had black hair. Anyone with information about these incidents is encouraged to call the BCPD at 617-552-4440.”

Beginning Wednesday night, news of the attack spread rapidly over the Internet. Alicia Battistoni, president of the Organization of Latin American Affairs (OLAA) and A&S ’13, wrote an e-mail to OLAA members Wednesday night relaying Rojas’ account of the alleged attacks.

“This is a violent attack that has gone unreported to students by the administration,” Battistoni wrote. “It’s time to get a bit revolutionary and speak up. Ask your friends if they know this happened, if they know of similar instances, and get some conversations going. Post about it on Facebook, Twitter, blogs, just spread this story because people need to know.

“It is suspected that her attacker is a student on campus, although this is not confirmed,” Battistoni wrote. “For your safety and for the safety of your friends, do NOT let anyone walk around campus alone at night. Do NOT walk around alone at night with headphones in and please remain aware of your surroundings.”

Patrick Rombalski, vice president for Student Affairs, addressed the incident in an e-mail to the Boston College community sent Thursday afternoon.

“BC Police met with the individual and investigated the complaint,” Rombalski wrote. “Other administrators also met with the student over the weekend to offer support, and the incident was reported to the Office of Institutional Diversity according to the guidelines of the University Hate Crimes Protocol.”

In her e-mail to OLAA members, Battistoni pointed out that the alleged attacks are classified as a hate crime because “[Rojas] believes she was targeted because of her race and individuality.”

News of the attack also spread rapidly on Facebook and Twitter, with many students reposting parts of Battistoni’s e-mail and similarly calling for action. Many accused the University of a perceived slow response to the events of the weekend.