An Eye On Culture

The End: As It Should Be

Associate Arts & Review Editor

Published: Sunday, November 18, 2012

A lot can change in a year.

When I stood outside a small classroom in Higgins with a curious plant experiment at the door waiting for the associate and assistant arts editor elections to start, there was a lot I didn’t know. I had no idea that the guy I small-talked with to ease my jitters would eventually become someone more special than I could have imagined, that the election would actually sway in my favor, and I’d be lucky enough to be the associate arts editor of the best college newspaper I’ve seen, or that the strangers staring at me and asking questions from the crowd would end up being the most special group of people I’ve had the honor to call my friends at BC.

I am different from the girl I was that night in the Higgins classroom, nervously smiling and answering questions that I was probably not equipped enough to answer and truly not understand what I was getting myself into.

Not many people on campus know what happens inside McElroy 113: I’m sure the ambiguous smell of Roggie’s pizza, the loud music behind even louder chatter and occasional screams confuses the innocent passersby. At least, that’s how I felt before I joined the board, venturing in occasionally to say hi as a writer who had only dabbled in the Arts & Review section. After the urgings of my two friends already on the board and the previous arts editors I wrote for, I ran for an editorial position, honestly not expecting much and preparing to lose. When an unknown number from Westchester called me at midnight after the election saying that I had been voted associate, I couldn’t explain why I was so happy.

Within a year, that initial and seemingly random spurt of happiness and excitement I felt has been vindicated. I had every right to feel blindly happy—I had just acquired 39 new and amazing friends. Even better, they’re 39 loud and rowdy, hilarious, partying, sometimes crazy, opinionated, eccentric, intelligent new friends. They’re some of the best dancers I know, the only people on this planet who can make me understand sports, some of the best beer pong players (can’t wait for a rematch with Sports at an upcoming alumni event), some of the most creative, and some of the sassiest. And I love you all for it.

The poetic part of me doesn’t even want to be on the board another year, because this past year was so perfect (and I’ve exhausted all my column ideas…). The sentimental side wants to stay in the corner with Features/Metro and Sports until I’m 28. While I’m (strangely) anticipating and wondering what I’ll do with all my free time on Wednesdays and Sundays, the times I’ve already spent are truly enough to suffice. From Suzy Q, the baby debate, and Torso, to every picture, every party, every paper, every production, every Scene meeting, are memories I wouldn’t trade for anything.

Right before I opened my computer to write this column, my last as an arts editor, I drank my last Bud Light at a football tailgate as an undergraduate Eagle. I also feel like I’m just starting to understand InDesign, and it’s already time for me to teach someone else.

It’s safe to say that a lot is changing right now in the lives of the Class of 2013, but a lot will also remain the same after the sun finally sets on that day in May that we’re all counting down the days to in the back of our minds: the people and the memories.

While this column may only resonate with board members, I’m sure the story I’ve told about my time on the paper is, in many ways, similar to others. Joining, leaving, and then eventually remembering. It’s a natural human experience, which is something I’ve always tried to capture in my column: the things that everyone can understand or relate to. That’s the power of a particular—it always ends up being universal.

I can’t thank the board enough for my time on The Heights, and just as importantly, everyone else for reading a bi-weekly baby that we all truly love. As a final bit of honesty before I leave you, I’ve spent longer writing this column than any other I’ve written as an editor. As it should be.