'Apprentice' Winner Speaks About His Success

Rancic’s Lecture Gives Students A Unique Perspective On Their Time In College

Published: Wednesday, March 21, 2012

appretice 3/22

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

"It’s okay to fall down, it’s okay to make mistakes, but when I was growing up, it was never okay not to try,” Bill Rancic said to a full house in the Murray Function Room.

The talk, titled “You’re Hired!” was hosted by the Student Organization Funding Committee (SOFC), the UGBC Senate, Compass, the Boston College Entrepreneur Society, and the AHANA Management Academy.

Rancic, winner of the first season of The Apprentice and lifelong entrepreneur, was met with a warm welcome by the crowd.

He proceeded to share with BC students his long history of entrepreneurship, starting at age 10 when he sold pancakes to his grandmother’s friends.

Rancic outlined not only his own successes, but spoke about the mindset and the strategies he used to achieve this success.

“When you are an entrepreneur, maybe it’s a blessing, maybe it’s a curse, but you are never satisfied,” Rancic said.

He continued to talk about something that rests heavily on the minds of many college students who are currently seeking jobs and internships—networking.

“I called every buddy and every business connection I had,” Rancic said.

Rancic spoke about stopping at nothing to see his dreams come to fruition.

In launching his cigar-of-the-month business after college, Rancic had little to go on, except his boundless passion for business.

“Sometimes in business, you have to do things you wouldn’t normally do—you need to check your ego at the door,” Rancic said. This philosophy led him to appear on The Danny Bonaduce Show to promote his fledgling company.

Getting promoted wasn’t the hardest part of starting his own company. Rancic had to quit his job in corporate America, which he said was one of the scariest things he had ever done.

But it is this sort of risk taking that reaped such great rewards, with the help of hard work, that pervaded Rancic’s whole talk and inspired all those who came to the event.

Rancic took all of this as a challenge.  “You have to have that fire in your belly, you have to be willing to make the sacrifices, you have to be willing to do what the person on either side of you isn’t willing to do,” he said.

“Tough times don’t last, but tough people do.” This motto explains Rancic’s success in every project he has tackled to date.

Rancic contributes his success to three traits: “You realize that the phrase ‘actions speak louder than words’ is true”; secondly, “having the ability to realize when you need to change up your game plan”; and finally, “it comes down to one word—fear. When we are born we only have two natural fears—falling and loud noises—all other fears are learned.”

Rancic shared with all the young hopefuls in the room that fear is all that is holding us all back from reaching our full potentials.

“Potential is probably the best God-given asset we have, but it is under utilized,” Rancic said.

He chalked up his success to that tapping into his potential. As he wrapped up his talk, students were invited to ask him questions, which Rancic answered candidly and eloquently.

The evening ended with photo-ops with Rancic that everyone was eager to take part in.

Rancic left The Heights with a parting statement.

“I hope that my journey inspired them and maybe it gave them a different perspective on how to approach life and really on how to approach their time at school,” he said. “I think I was able to take great advantage of my college years and couple my education with a lot of practical experience and I think that’s important.”