Scene and Heard

Published: Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 21:09

1. Hot Off The Press
In what was often a somber awards ceremony, Emmy voters tended to stray from the proverbial box. One such surprise was Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom) winning Best Actor in a Drama over heavyweights Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Jon Hamm (Mad Men), and Kevin Spacey (House of Cards). The loss was bittersweet for Breaking Bad fans, as it went on to win its first-ever Emmy for Best Drama. And clinging to the box for one more year was Modern Family, as it won its fourth straight award for Best Comedy.

2. 'Sausage' Fest
This past summer Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, known for such fare as Superbad and Pineapple Express, tackled the end of the world with This Is the End. In just two years they’ll have another party for all their dedicated disciples—a “sausage party.” Their next project, gloriously titled Sausage Party, will be an animated feature and according to Sony will be “about one sausage’s quest to discover the truth about his existence.” It will be rated R, obviously.

3. Breaking Up With Bruck
Jerry Bruckheimer, the super-producer who seemingly produces everything, and Disney, the mega-corporation that seemingly owns everything, have parted ways after a fairly prosperous 20 years together. Bruckheimer has produced movies such as Armageddon, Pirates of the Caribbean, and National Treasure, among many others. How prosperous has the Bruckheimer-Disney relationship been over the last 20 years? According to Wikipedia, Bruckheimer movies have grossed a combined $13 billion.

4. Twerking On A Dream
Miley Cyrus has finally been given a chance to tell her side of the story and tell us what this twerking thing is really all about. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Miley explains with regard to her VMA performance that “we could have gone farther.” She is of course referring to herself and performance partner Robin Thicke. She also talks about a brief mentorship with Kanye West, which will surely endear her to all her critics.

5. New NCIS Spinoff
CBS has decided that in the wake of Breaking Bad’s sure-to-be historic finale, what television really needs right now is another NCIS spinoff. NCIS: New Orleans will be introduced in a two-part NCIS episode this spring. The first spinoff, NCIS: Los Angeles (above), starring LL Cool J and Chris O’Donnell, BC ’92, is now entering its fifth season but has not reached the heights of its now 11-year running populist juggernaut of a program.