Boston Guide To The Arts: December

Assoc. Arts & Review Editor

Published: Thursday, December 12, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 12, 2013 17:12

Boston Opera House

Courtesy of the Boston Ballet Company

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
(Friday, 12/13 Opening)
Peter Jackson’s second installation in the epic The Hobbit movie trilogy continues, recounting Bilbo Baggins’s journey to Lonely Mountain and his battle with the terrifying dragon Smaug. The film premieres this weekend.

KISS 108’s Jingle Ball 2013
(Saturday, 12/14 7 p.m.)
Miley Cyrus, Fall Out Boy, Enrique Inglesias, Robin Thicke, and others are uniting for Kiss 108’s annual Jingle Ball Concert at TD Garden. Tickets range from $45.50 to $270.45.

SoWa Holiday Market
(Saturday 12/14 to Sunday 12/15 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.)
Featuring an array of indie goods and handmade gifts from New England’s designers, artists, and crafters, this year’s SoWa Holiday Market will be hosted in the historic Benjamin Franklin Institute on Berkeley Street. Admission is $5.

The Nutcracker
(Recurring through 12/29)
The Boston Ballet is performing Mikko Nissinen’s The Nutcracker at the Boston Opera House for the holiday season. Tickets start at $35.

Christmas Reflections
(Friday, 12/20 to Sunday, 12/22)
Choreographed by Jesuit Artist-in-Residence Robert VerEecke, S.J., Christmas Reflections celebrates the holidays through story, music, and dance. The show runs 7:30 p.m. on Friday and 3 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets can be purchased through Robsham for $15.

I Love Lucy! Live on Stage
(Recurring through 12/22)
Adapted from the beloved 1950s TV show, I Love Lucy! Live on Stage brings viewers behind-the-scenes in a charming, entertaining stage production complete with theatrical antics and retro musical numbers. The play is being hosted at Citi Emerson Colonial Theatre. Tickets start at $34.50 through ticketmaster.com.

Christmas Carol 2: Deadly Dickens
(Recurring though 1/25)
Mystery Cafe is presenting an offbeat sequel to Charles Dickens’s classic, following the Ghost of Christmas Future. The show is being performed at The Elephant & Castle Restaurant and Pub. For more information about tickets, dates, and times, visit mysterycafe.com.