Athletics Report Reveals Financial Data

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013 01:01

Boston College athletics changed its reporting methods of revenues and expenses for ticketed sports in its Equity in Athletics Data Report last year, a move toward greater transparency for the department.

The department used to include institutional financial support as a part of team revenue on the report, which resulted in a reported net profit of zero for all teams except the profitable football program. Now, without the insitutional support, actual figures for men’s hockey, men’s basketball and women’s basketball are available for the 2011-12 season, as well as the previously available football figures.

The inclusion of institutional support in the report showed a net profit of zero for the hockey program in every year dating back to 2005, but now without those numbers the report indicates that the program posted a net loss of more than $1.8 million. Total revenue totalled more than $2.2 million dollars while expenses were more than $4 million.

Revenue increased for the football program by more than $1 million from two years ago, with expenses decreasing slightly leading to a profit of almost $3.7 million, up from the $1.9 million mark the year before, according to the report. That profit ranked second to last in Atlantic Coast Conference, ahead of only Wake Forest University.

The men’s basketball program had the smallest profit in the conference and was one of only two teams to finish in the negative zone, according to the report. BC had the lowest revenue, bringing in less than $500,000, leading to a net loss of $623,000.

Women’s basketball also reportedly finished last in profit in the conference. With revenue equalling less than $300,000 and expenses around $4 million, the team had a net loss around $3.7 million.

The department as a whole reported no profit, with total revenues and expenses around $66 million. This is consistent with previous years, but the figures had been presented or allocated differently before, showing a net gain in some years.

“Every year our goal is to break even,” said Chris Iacoi, associate athletic director of business operations in an email. “The prior years that show a profit only show those figures due to the way the figures were presented and allocated in the report.”
The data in the report is compiled by the U.S. Department of Education from all institutions that receive federal student aid from the government. Along with revenues and expenses, BC is also required to report financial and participatory differences between men and women.

The gap between BC athletic financial aid for men and women was the largest it has been since as far back as 2003, although there was only one more male participant than there were female participants in athletics last year, according to the report. A participant is defined in the report as any student who is listed on a varsity roster, receives athletics-related student aid, or practices with a varsity team and receives coaching from a varsity coach.

Male participants received in excess of $1.7 million more in athletics-related student aid than did female participants last season. That difference is almost $800,000 more than it was two years ago, when there were 16 more male participants than female participants, according to the report. Men received $1.3 million more in 2009 when there was one fewer male participant than there were female participants, and they received $700,000 more in 2005 when there was, similarly, one more male participant.

“As a private institution, our general policy is not to discuss specifics related to budgetary/salary numbers, which applies in this case,” said Chris Cameron, head of media relations, in an email.

Despite the increased gap, the difference between aid-per-male-participant and aid-per-female-participant does not differ greatly from the rest of the private schools in the conference. Male students at BC receive, on average, $25,000 in athletically related student aid, while female students receive $20,000, on average. That $5,000 gap is less than the $8,000 gap in favor of men at the University of Miami, which has three more male participants than female participants. Male students received $2,000 more than female students on average at Duke University. The gap favored women at Wake Forest University, where female students received $6,000 more than male students on average.