Attendence is the first step to involvement

New or old, students should seek out interests at Friday's Student Involvement Fair

Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The annual Student Involvement Fair will be held this Friday on Linden Lane, and The Heights encourages each and every student, especially freshmen, to attend.
It is true that the fair can be overwhelming— swarms of fellow students, hundreds of tables, eager recruiters blasting music and accosting you with candy and promises as you walk by. However, students should not let this high energy scare them, but instead embrace the atmosphere and seek out clubs whose enthusiasm and passions match their own. There really is an organization for everyone, whether you are into dance, a Cappella, or even ultimate frisbee.

For freshmen, the fair is a great opportunity to discover or foster a passion, and it can assist you in finding your niche at Boston College. The first semester of college can be daunting, and clubs can provide a sense of belonging and purpose, as well as exposure to new people and experiences. Any active member of the BC community can tell you that getting involved in some sort of organization was one of the best choices they have made in their collegiate career. Extracurricular involvement only enhances your academic, social, and personal development.

Taking advantage of the Involvement Fair is not something we encourage for just freshmen, however. Year after year, a prominent section of upperclassmen fail to become active on campus. Many believe that it is too late to join a club or that they have “missed the boat.” This is simply not true—nearly every club and organization wants, and needs, new members no matter the grade. It is never too late to get involved.