BC 2 Boston Hosts Harpoon Brewery Event

Published: Sunday, October 14, 2012

harpoon

Katherine McClurg / Heights Editor

Katie McClurg

Katherine McClurg / Heights Editor

Katherine McClurg - byeeee heights

Katherine McClurg

On Friday night, BC 2 Boston held their first ever 21-plus event at Harpoon Brewery in Boston’s Marine Industrial Park. Seventy Boston College juniors and seniors were bused to a private tasting room at the brewery, where students had the opportunity to sample 15 different types of beer while mingling with friends and learning a little about their favorite drink.

Out of the 10 events scheduled for this semester, BC 2 Boston directors have been most excited about this one. “This is something that is unprecedented in BC 2 Boston history,” said BC 2 Boston’s deputy director Tim Koch, A&S ’14. “We hope that seniors who don’t know our name can leave BC with those memories of Boston as part of their experience.”

In previous years, BC 2 Boston had been a part of the Student Affairs department within UGBC, but is now in its inaugural year as an independent department of UGBC. This restructuring has allowed for a staff solely devoted to BC 2 Boston programming, in addition to a larger budget. The Harpoon Brewery Tasting is BC 2 Boston’s third consecutive sold-out event this year, a demonstration of the organization’s growth in its new division.

Harpoon Brewery’s expansive tasting room emulates a typical pub atmosphere, but the large windows overlooking the brewery foster the room’s unique educational and historic atmosphere. Upon presenting identification to the Harpoon staff, students were given a sample of Harpoon’s traditional fall beer, Octoberfest. Students kept their glasses throughout the night and were then allowed to have unlimited samples of any beer on tap.

Although BC 2 Boston had clearly marketed the event as a tasting, there was confusion amongst students who thought they would additionally be taking a tour of the historic Boston brewery. “Harpoon doesn’t allow groups to reserve tours, so in order to allow as many students as possible to come we had to sacrifice touring the brewery,” said event organizer, Valerie Avila, A&S ’13.

Despite lacking a tour, students appeared to be enjoying themselves, listening to music, mingling amongst friends, and discussing the variety of beers they had tried. The tasting was led by two Harpoon staff members serving as both bartenders and educators. The staff was extremely entertaining as well as knowledgeable, catering their presentations specifically to the BC crowd, attendees said. “I’ve only been 21 for a few months, so I don’t know that much about different types of beer,” said Katie Tusch, A&S ’13. “They simplified the information, so you didn’t have to be a beer expert to understand the different varieties and what occasions they’re good for.”

The staff educated the audience on Harpoon’s history and the brewing process throughout the tasting, allowing the event to be entertaining, fun, and informative. Students especially enjoyed the event because they didn’t have to break their banks to attend this unique experience. “My friends and I decided to go mostly because tickets were only 5 dollars. But I’m glad I did because it’s a lot better than I was expecting,” said Mike Capineri, CSOM ’13.

Tickets went on sale Oct. 3 in the Robsham box office and were only available to members of the classes of 2013 and 2014. Although there were a few juniors, the majority of students in attendance were seniors. One of the chief goals of the BC 2 Boston program is to make Boston a more accessible city to BC students by providing affordable events that allow them explore the city and take advantage of all it has to offer, making these events especially appealing to seniors who are trying to do as much as possible in their last year. “Going to a brewery has been on my Boston bucket list for a while now, so I bought my ticket as soon as they went on sale. I think BC 2 Boston is such a great program because personally it has helped me check a lot of things off my bucket list,” Tusch said.

Many students who went might not remember the difference in how a cider is brewed versus a dark beer, but they might remember the good music, good conversations, and good beer they had while immersing themselves in Boston’s culture.