BC 2 Boston To Keep New Events Rolling

Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012

BC 2 Boston, the UGBC program that aims to provide Boston College students with “Boston’s Best at a Bargain!,” ushered in the new school year with two sold-out events this week: the Museum of Science’s College Night this past Monday and the Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays game on Tuesday.

One of this student-run program’s chief goals is to make Boston a more accessible city to BC students, whether it be through providing easy transportation into the city for free events, with buses departing directly from BC, or making available discounted tickets to sporting events, musicals, and concerts.

The first two programs of the year, the Museum of Science’s College Night, where BC 2 Boston provided direct bus transportation from BC to the otherwise free event, and the Red Sox vs. Rays game, where students were able to purchase discounted tickets at the price of $25, were deemed a success by Tim Koch, deputy director of BC 2 Boston and A&S ’14.

Koch was enthusiastic about the year’s two inaugural events. “It was a great feeling knowing these first two even hit maximum capacity,” he said. This meant that 50 students attended the Museum of Science College night and 75 students attended the Red Sox game, which BC 2 Boston has been working on facilitating since June.

BC 2 Boston is currently in its first year as an independent department of UGBC, whereas in previous years it had been a part of the student affairs department. With this reorganization comes a bigger budget as well as a staff solely devoted to BC 2 Boston programming.

Sarah Slater, director of BC 2 Boston and A&S ’13, stated the positive effects for the program associated with this change.

“We will do more extensive programs, as well as now having the ability to plan events on our own,” she said. “BC 2 Boston is looking to increase and diversify the types of programs we do, appealing to more students’ interest and becoming a more representative UGBC.”

One of the ways that BC 2 Boston will be looking to appeal to the diverse interests of BC’s student body is through reaching out to different student organizations for collaborative events that will give students a better voice in terms of how they want to enjoy the city of Boston during their time at BC.

In looking ahead at the rest of the semester, BC 2 Boston has scheduled six additional events. The event that the BC 2 Boston directors are most excited about bringing to BC students is their first ever 21-plus event.

“We received permission from the administration for our first 21-plus event on Oct. 12, which will be a beer tasting at Harpoon Brewery,” Koch said. “This is something that is unprecedented in BC 2 Boston history. We hope that seniors who don’t know our name can leave BC with those memories of Boston as part of their experience.”

Other events that BC 2 Boston is sponsoring in October include 75 tickets to the Tony-award winning musical War Horse at the Boston Opera House on Oct. 12 and apple-picking at a local orchard on Oct. 13. During that same weekend, BC 2 Boston is also providing transportation to the SoWa open market that takes place every Sunday on South Washington Street, May through October, where local food trucks and artisans sell their food and goods.

Looking forward, BC 2 Boston also is hoping to make it easier for students to see the many musical artists that come to the city. They have secured tickets to see K’NAAN, who comes to Cambridge on Nov. 4, as well as Matt and Kim’s concert at the House of Blues on Nov. 16.