BC Hopes For 150 Minutes Of Service

VSLC Sponsors Eagle Volunteers Initiative

Published: Sunday, September 9, 2012

As part of Boston College’s Sesquicentennial celebration, University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., and the Volunteer and Service Learning Center (VSLC) have invited members of the BC community to participate in 150 minutes of community service during the three semesters of the Sesquicentennial.

BC Alumni will also be asked to participate in 150 minutes of service through the more than 25 alumni service projects offered by alumni chapters or on the National Day of Service, April 23, 2013. To promote student involvement and outreach on the BC campus during the 150th anniversary, the VSLC has created a new program called the Eagle Volunteers.

The Eagle Volunteers is a student volunteer program that allows BC students to choose a volunteer opportunity that fits their schedule and interests. Through the VSLC, the Eagle Volunteers will be offering BC students three volunteer locations where they can complete their service time on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays throughout the year.

Volunteer opportunities will be offered at the Epiphany School on Tuesdays, where students can prepare and serve a meal to middle school students; at St. Peter’s Teen Center on Wednesdays, where students will have various opportunities to tutor, do crafts, or play games with teens; and at the Yawkey Center Food Pantry on Thursdays, where students will help fill orders, stock shelves, and prepare food. The community service trips will occur between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. starting Sept. 24, and vans will drive BC students to the volunteer organizations. No application or experience is needed, and all students are encouraged to sign up.

“The idea is that people can go into service without having a yearlong commitment,” said Anthony Ford, Eagle Volunteers team leader and A&S ’13. “You can sign up on a weekly basis and only commit the kind of time you can give. You can do it once and that’s it, or as long as other people are getting the chance to go too, you can go again. First priority is going to be given to people who haven’t had a chance yet, and it’s on a first-come, first-served basis.”
With the help of the new student volunteer program, VSLC is confident that every student will be able to complete at least 150 minutes of community service in the coming year. Ford and VSLC have worked closely with the three volunteer sites over the past year. St. Peter’s Teen Center and the Yawkey Food Pantry are both part of the Catholic Charities of Boston and all three programs are located in Dorchester.

“Dorchester is nearly inaccessible by T,” Ford said. “We want BC students to connect more to those communities. We hope to be able to share the resources that we have as a Jesuit college with our neighbors, and increase the relationship between BC and Boston.”
The community service programs will run throughout the fall and spring semester, excluding finals weeks and the week of Thanksgiving. With such competitive volunteer programs on the BC campus, the VSLC hopes that the Eagle Volunteers becomes a convenient, noncommittal alternative for students who wish to participate in community service. If the program is a success, the VSLC plans to continue it in the years to come.

“The idea is that anyone who wants to serve can serve,” Ford said. “Once the Sesquicentennial celebrations have come to an end and we are in the 151st year or the 152nd year, we hope that the Eagle Volunteers are still a presence on campus and [the organization] becomes one of our key programs at BC.”
Students interested in the Eagle Volunteers program can find more information at BC.edu/eaglevolunteers.