BC must re-examine Late Night behavior

In light of recent vandalism and general destruction, The Heights urges students to respect workers

Published: Sunday, November 11, 2012

Late Night at Boston College has long been a popular experience. On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights from midnight to 2 a.m., students gather to eat food, meet up with friends, and recap the night’s events.
Lately, however, the behavior at Late Night has become increasingly disruptive and destructive. This semester alone, the giant clock in Corcoran Commons was stolen, a set of doors was kicked in, and a soda machine was vandalized and broken, among other incidents. In general, the dining hall is left a mess, with the tables and floor covered in trash and leftover food.

The Heights asks students to re-examine their behavior at Late Night, and also to monitor the actions of their friends. Although we understand that the large acts of destruction stem from a minority of the student population, smaller actions such as forgetting to throw out trash, cutting the line, or spilling marinara sauce can be traced to a much larger group.
At the time, this kind of behavior may seem trivial, but it adds to the negative chaos that has recently surrounded Late Night.

In addition, the majority of the workers at Late Night are fellow BC students. When Late Night attendees engage in careless and rude behavior, they are increasing the work of their friends, peers, and classmates tenfold. When one student decides to get drunk and sloppily eat his or her mozzarella sticks, he or she is creating more work and putting more pressure on an undeserving peer.  In fact, BC Dining has said that the conditions have deteriorated so much for Late Night employees that they are having a difficult time finding students to work that shift, despite higher pay. Poor behavior at Late Night has grown to a drastic level, and it is truly time for BC students to take a long look at their behavior, and more importantly, how to adjust it.