BC Reads Encourages Leisure Reading, Reviews Books Online

The Club Maintains A Blog And Volunteers At A Local School

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Since its beginning as a student organization last year, BC Reads has given students at Boston College and the surrounding community a greater access to works of literature for leisure reading.

BC Reads was started last year by DJ Adams, A&S ’13, and Christie Wentworth, A&S ’13, who found a mutual interest in reading for pleasure while studying abroad during their junior year.

“When you’re abroad, you realize that you have a little more free time for some of the things you’ve forgot about, and for me, that was pleasure reading,” Adams said. “Through mutual connections, we found that both of us were interested in starting this organization back on campus.”
The club, which has 20 members, including 10 staff writers and three staff editors, has published reviews for 10 books so far. The reviews are published online in a blog at bcreads.weebly.com. Staff writers publish a new review every six weeks.

“Our organization started with the idea of doing book reviews for students at Boston College,” Wentworth said. “They get to read books, and get something out of it. It has expanded since then.”
In addition to publishing reviews, BC Reads is also involved in community outreach programs, such as a book drive and volunteering at St. Columbkille Elementary School which involves reading to the sixth grade English language arts class in an effort to promote reading among children.

“It’s representative of so many of the Jesuit ideals you come across at BC,” Adams said. “It’s taking the education and the knowledge we have and trying to spread it outward.”
The club includes publications from any BC student, as well as faculty and staff members. The publications are listed by title, author, or reviewer to allow students to choose books that were read and recommended by others in the BC community or by authors they might know. Each book is given a 500-word review and a rating.

Those who wish to get involved can apply for a position or volunteer. Next year, applications will be reviewed in the fall, and a group of staff writers and editors will be chosen to write throughout the year.

“You don’t need to be an English major,” Adams said. “I think that that’s one of the great things about it. The more diverse the books that people are reading, the more of an awesome array of novels you’ll have.”
“There are so many different times to read during the day,” Wentworth said. “While studying, in class before the teacher gets there, while at the gym. In the past week, I read two books, and I wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t for BC Reads.”
“It’s healthy procrastination,” Adams said.