Be mindful of peers when expressing opinions

With of Fisher v. UT-Austin and NCOW, consider both sides of the argument

Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In light of National Coming Out Week (NCOW) and the current Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin case, The Heights reminds Boston College students to be mindful and considerate of their peers when expressing opinions on these events. NCOW and Affirmative Action are both controversial subjects. While we encourage students to discuss these events both on and off campus, we also remind them to be thoughtful when making polarizing statements, and to keep in mind their opinions could be offensive or hurtful to their fellow peers. We also encourage students to take the time to hear others’ opinions. Through conversation, BC students can gain an understanding of different perspectives and learn from their classmates, professors, and peers. 

The Heights also hopes that students use the recent BC Ignites Forum as an example of a successful dialogue on the topic of race on campus–a topic that has long been ignored or avoided on the BC campus. We encourage students to attend other events like BC Ignites and to continue the educated discussion on important topics such as race, sexuality, and social inequality.

We also remind students to make sure they are well informed on both sides of an argument before they express an opinion on such controversial topics. We urge those students interested in posting on Facebook, Twitter, or a blog to first fully understand the argument or topic at hand. It is important to be knowledgeable before expressing an opinion, and we hope students strongly consider the impacts their statements can have on others.