Becoming Men And Women For The Environment

Published: Thursday, March 22, 2012

This week, Boston College’s campus featured UGBC’s third annual “Green Week.” The week, dedicated to sustainability and social justice, featured events every day highlighting different ways to get involved with being “green” on campus. The events, which included a student panel on “Academics to Activism” and an “Eco-Career Night,” to name a few, were designed to inspire activism in students, and to expose the different opportunities to get involved on campus.

Meg Lister, president of EcoPledge and A&S ’12, commented on how this year, Green Week was significantly different from years past. She mentioned how the committee focused its attention on tying sustainability with social justice as it applies to the Jesuit ideal of “men and women for others.” She explained that the philosophy for the week involved making the world a better place for the people who bear the burden of pollution and wastefulness—the poor. She also explained how important it was for the events to reach out to students on how to get involved directly.

“Green Week is important to our campus because it’s an opportunity for people to see what’s going on in sustainability at BC from many different sides—dining, the libraries, the facilities, and the administration and student side,” Lister said.

Lister, along with Gloria Kostadinova, director of sustainability and A&S ’14, also mentioned the bad reputation BC has had in the past with sustainability, in comparison to college campuses in the surrounding areas.

This year, however, the committee revamped with a more specific message and a dedicated team. “This year, this team has a lot of enthusiasm about contributing to the global movement and acknowledging that BC has a passionate and involved student body,” Kostadinova said.

“There are so many great initiatives present on our campus, but our sustainability efforts can only succeed with the full support of the administration,” Lister said. “We hope that by framing Green Week and sustainability in general as a unique social justice issue, the BC campus will realize that it should be a big priority for our community.”

The goal of this week, which ends on Saturday, Mar. 24, is to show the community that college students are the future, and the environment is a rising responsibility for now and the years to come.

For more information on coming events, and to sign UGBC’s sustainability petition, visit bcecopledge.tumblr.com.