Top Of The Heights

A Boston College-based sports blog written by the editors and staffers of The Heights

test test

13 postings

3 page views

Bedoya Debuts for National Soccer Team

02/17/10 18:07 PM

Posted By: Paul Sulzer   Ex-Eagle Alejandro Bedoya played his first game for the senior U.S. national soccer team on Saturday, a 3-1 exhibition loss to Honduras. Since most of the elite players for both countries are in the middle of their club campaigns in Europe, the American squad was mostly made up of players from MLS and the lower European leagues, like Bedoya, who plays for Obrero in Sweden.   The game wasn’t a fair barometer of how the U.S. will do in the World Cup this summer, since Jimmy Conrad got sent off in the 17th minute (on second thought, maybe it is ). But there were plenty of players auditioning for one of the coveted 23 spots on that roster, including Bedoya.   Reports on Bedoya’s performance in the training camp leading up to... 0 comment

Bedoya Debuts For National Soccer Team

01/25/10 11:09 AM

Posted by Paul Sulzer... Ex-Eagle Alejandro Bedoya played his first game for the senior U.S. national soccer team on Saturday, a 3-1 exhibition loss to Honduras. Since most of the elite players for both countries are in the middle of their club campaigns in Europe, the American squad was mostly made up of players from MLS and the lower European leagues, like Bedoya, who plays for Obrero in Sweden. The game wasn’t a fair barometer of how the U.S. will do in the World Cup this summer, since Jimmy Conrad got sent off in the 17th minute (on second thought, maybe it is). But there were plenty of players auditioning for one of the coveted 23 spots on that roster, including Bedoya. Reports on Bedoya’s performance in the training camp leading up to the game have been mixed....

The Latest From Lubbock

01/01/10 21:40 PM

Posted By Maegan O'Rourke Texas Tech University fired Mike Leach, its head football coach, Wednesday. The firing stemmed from an investigation into how Leach treated a player who had suffered a concussion. Adam James, a sophomore wide receiver, alleged that Leach forced him to stay in an equipment shed at two separate team practices while the player recovered from concussions. James used the video on his cell phone to record part of his time in the shed. Leach blames his firing on “lies and fabrication,” and said that it was an attempt by the university to avoid paying him all of his five-year, $12.7 million contract (Leach was due an $800,000 bonus if he was still the coach of the Red Raiders on Dec. 31). But it seems to me that everyone is overlooking a major detail: He...

Breaking Down The Press

01/01/10 17:18 PM

Posted By Paul Sulzer     Any team that scouts Boston College will know the Eagles have issues with the press. A common complaint from fans is that head coach Al Skinner doesn’t do enough to correct this problem. But to blame Skinner is unfair. His philosophy is to maintain composure on the bench and not get too animated when his team makes a mistake. Skinner says that the team knows how to break pressure – it’s just a matter of execution. While BC doesn’t run the most creative inbounds plays, the press can still be broken with smart decision making. The players are too careless with the ball to take advantage of the press’ weaknesses. It’s natural for them to feel anxious, too. Most fans and critics can’t understand what it feels...

Emerald Bowl Preview: Game Not Played On Paper

12/26/09 13:12 PM

Posted by Daniel Popko   As you sit there wearing Aunt Elma’s freshly knitted sweater and basking in the hundreds of dollars of store credit that Dec. 26 always brings, the Boston College football team will be getting ready to suit up and face the mighty University of Southern California Trojans. Sure, it sounds bad; head coach Frank Spaziani even told the Boston Globe, “Hopefully it’s not a 76-second knockout.’’ But why is everybody so worried? Just look at the match-up on paper. Sure USC has three Heisman Trophies this decade and seven overall. BC has Doug Flutie and then some more Doug Flutie. USC has the hotshot former NFL head coach who gives away cars and apartments (allegedly) like most people give away candy canes on Christmas. BC has a...