BREAKING: Body Found In Reservoir Tentatively Identified As Franco Garcia

News Editor

Published: Thursday, April 12, 2012

breaking 4/11

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

The body found in the Chestnut Hill Reservoir shortly before 8 a.m. this morning has been identified by state police as that of Franco Garcia, WCAS '12, who went missing on Feb. 22 after a night out with friends at Mary Ann's in Cleveland Circle.

Early this morning, a man walking his dog reported a body floating in the Chestnut Hill reservoir 20 feet offshore on the Chestnut Hill Ave. side. State police responded to the scene.

“State police detectives assigned to the Suffolk DA’s office are en route to the area of the Chestnut Hill Reservoir this morning for a report of a body in the water,” said Jake Wark, Press Secretary of the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, in an e-mail this morning. “Procedurally, the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit has jurisdiction over death investigations in state waters within the City of Boston, hence their deployment.”

The Chestnut Hill Reservoir was the site of numerous police searches in late February after the disappearance of Garcia on Feb. 22. Garcia had not been seen or contacted since then, and the searches throughout the end of February yielded no evidence related to his disappearance.

State police investigators photographed the scene before going to retrieve the body. The body was removed from the water in a white bag shortly after 10 a.m.

The Twitter account @FindFranco, managed by friends and family, tweeted at 11:34 a.m.  "Prayers and tears. We'll love and miss you forever, Franco. #RIPFRANCO."

In a 12 p.m. press conference, state police at the scene stated that preliminary results, including items on the body, clothing, and physical description identified the body as Garcia. State police will confirm the identity more fully after an autopsy has been performed either later today or early tomorrow. State police at the scene did not rule out the possibility of foul play, stating that an official autopsy is necessary.

A statement from the University is forthcoming.