BREAKING: McCaffrey Suspended For Tweets On Penn State

The Women's Soccer Player Will Not Participate In Friday's Game

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stephanie McCaffrey (CSOM ’15), a sophomore forward on the Boston College women’s soccer team, has been suspended for a series of tweets she posted earlier today regarding Penn State and the sexual abuse case it was wrapped up in last year.

Athletic director Brad Bates announced in a statement that McCaffrey was suspended from the team, and will miss Friday night’s second-round NCAA Tournament game at Penn State.

“The student-athlete used very poor judgment and exhibited insensitivity towards Penn State, for which she apologizes,” Bates said in the statement. “This type of behavior is not tolerated among our student-athletes.”

Onward State, an online news organization at Penn State, captured McCaffrey’s tweets.

One read, “I wonder if well get into the visitors locker room at Penn state…I hear the showers are weiners only, 10 and under.”

Another said, “Raping at penn state to getting raped in state penn… #beatPennState #santouchsky #legggooeags.”

One other tweet mentioned some of her teammates: “@patricevettori #sandusky‘s house tonight! @kristiemewie @kcmosun twitter.com/stephyymac/sta…”

McCaffrey has since deleted her Twitter account.

Onward State showed that another BC student-athlete was also involved with McCaffrey’s tweets. Sean Sylvia (LSOE ’14), a defensive back for the football team, tweeted back at McCaffrey: “@stephyymac is literally making me die with all her tweets #makingmyweek #beatPennState #headonaswivel #sanduskyville.”

Sylvia has also deleted his Twitter account since the public took notice of his tweets concerning McCaffrey and Penn State.

McCaffrey is a native of Winchester, Mass., and her brother James plays on the football team at BC.

The Eagles will be without McCaffrey, the team’s second leading scorer with 24 points, as they take on the Nittany Lions of Penn State Friday night.

1 comments