BREAKING: Spaziani Out As Head Coach At BC

Fired After 16 Years Of Coaching In Chestnut Hill

Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, November 25, 2012

Spaziani

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

Frank Spaziani has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Boston College football team, a BC source has confirmed to The Heights. Athletic director Brad Bates confirmed the report in an official statement.

“A personnel decision of this magnitude affects many people and is never taken lightly, but I felt a change was necessary," Bates said in the statement.

“Obviously this is a sad day for my family and me," Spaziani said in a statement. "Boston College has been my home for more than 16 years, and I have been fortunate to work with some amazing student-athletes. I will always treasure my relationships with them and the BC staff.  Boston College is a tremendous place, and I am extremely thankful for my time there. I wish the current and future Eagles nothing but the best.”

Bates told the team in a meeting at 5 p.m. today.

“It is with gratitude that we recognize the many contributions Coach Spaziani has made to Boston College during his 16 years in Chestnut Hill,” Bates said. “He displayed unwavering dedication and loyalty to our institution and our football student‐athletes, while consistently representing Boston College with class and dignity. He and his staff have devoted countless hours to our student‐athletes and the BC community. We thank them and wish them well.”

The move didn’t come as much of a surprise to many, as the Eagles suffered through a 2-10 campaign this year after last season’s 4-8 record. In his time as head coach at BC, Spaziani compiled an overall record of 21-29.

Spaziani had been at BC for 16 years as a coach, working as head coach since the 2009 season. His move to the head coaching position came after Jeff Jagodzinski was fired in the winter of 2009. Prior to that, Spaziani had been a highly regarded defensive coordinator from 1999-2008.

Since the beginning of the season, there had been talk of Spaziani on the hot seat, and a 2-10 record this year was the nail in the coffin. Prior to the season, Spaziani addressed the uncertainty surrounding his job.

“Well, it could be debilitating if you pay attention too much to it, if you dwell on it,” Spaziani said on August 30. “You’re a human being, you don’t like to hear that. But the perception is reality of what’s happening. The only way to change perception is to change the facts. The only facts that we have here to change are the W’s and the L’s. Change the W’s and L’s, and life will go on. If you want your job, do your job.”

The fact of the matter is that Spaziani was unable to change the W’s and the L’s. Despite his level-headed demeanor that his players appreciated, Spaziani will not be on the sidelines with the Eagles next September.

A 1969 graduate of Penn State University, Spaziani got his start in coaching as a graduate assistant at his alma mater. He then coached at the United States Naval Academy from 1975-1981. After that, Spaziani served as a defensive backs coach and defensive coordinator at Virginia from 1982-1990.

His final stop before coming to Chestnut Hill in 1997 was in the Canadian Football League, working as the defensive coordinator for Winnipeg (1992-1993) and Calgary (1994-1996).

Bates will have his work cut out for him finding a new head coach, as positions have recently become available at Auburn, North Carolina State, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Kentucky.

“We will be seeking a leader whose vision of our football program mirrors the mission of our University, who values the development of our student‐athletes and whose goal is to return our program to national prominence,” he said. “Our fans and the entire University community value the rich tradition of Boston College football, and we are committed to making it a successful program.”