Campus School Runs, Walks, And Rolls Together

Asst. News Editor

Published: Sunday, October 21, 2012

Thanks in part to the unusually pleasant weather on Sunday morning, the Boston College Campus School enjoyed a large turnout of both Campus School students and families and BC students at its sixth annual Fun Run, Walk, and Roll.

Cate O’Connor, co-president of the Campus School Volunteers of BC (CSVBC) and A&S ’13, said that the event’s main goal was to raise awareness of the Campus School. The non-profit school on BC’s campus enrolls students from ages 3-21 who have multiple disabilities and provides them with therapeutic and health-related support in addition to individualized education. The Campus School also connects its students with BC students, who spend time together reading, playing, or working on art projects in order to foster friendships between the two communities.

“It’s a great way for the BC community to get to know the Campus School,” said M.E. Hawkins, co-president of CSVBC and LSOE ’13. “It’s not every day that you can get all of us in one place.”
Sean Schofield, volunteer coordinator, estimated that about 20 students and their families out of the Campus School’s 43 total students attended, in addition to the BC students who came to show their support and travel the 2.5 miles around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir with them.

“It’s very important for people to know about our population,” Schofield said. “We’re trying to bring Boston College into the Campus School community.”
Hawkins said that calling the event a “run, walk, and roll” demonstrated its inclusivity and the organizers’ hope to reach out to a large number of people, not just those who are affected in some way by disabilities.

For the parents of Campus School students, the Fun Run, Walk, and Roll is more than just a way to raise awareness. It provides them with a way to build a stronger community within the Campus School.

“Because we come from 40 communities in Massachusetts, this is a great way to connect with other parents and families, not just Campus School students,” Laura Yorke said. Yorke, whose son Phillip attends the Campus School, said that the event lets Phillip’s older and younger siblings meet other children who, like them, have a sibling with disabilities.

Members of CSVBC’s nine committees and Campus School teachers and parents helped organize and put on the event. Representatives from the broom hockey and marathon committees were on hand to recruit participants for those spring events and provide more information about CSVBC as a whole.

For many of them, helping out at an event like the Fun Run, Walk, and Roll is about more than just volunteer work. It can be a learning experience as well.

“The love these parents have for their children is so inspiring,” said Drew McKay, A&S ’14, who ran the Boston Marathon for the Campus School his freshman year. “I wanted to get more involved to learn more about the population.”
Campus School director Don Ricciato thanked participants for showing their support of the Campus School’s “noble work” before they departed for the Reservoir.

After they finished their walk, run, or roll, participants socialized in the plaza in front of Merkert Hall and enjoyed music, face painting, and healthy snacks.

“This is a great opportunity for family involvement and community awareness,” said Sara Davidson, who teaches Campus School students ages 7-10. “It brings the whole Campus School community together.”