Column: And Life Goes On

Heights Columnist

Published: Monday, April 30, 2012

My column has appeared on Page Three (or Four on a busy news day) just about every Monday for the past two and a half years. As the headshot that appears with this column reveals, you have to be a little smug and arrogant to be a columnist. What it doesn’t show you is that to be a news columnist you have to have a deep love and appreciation for Boston College and a passion for making a difference on campus. This is my last column, and I hope reading them has given you as much joy as writing them has given me.

I’m graduating—a scary prospect—and I’ve learned that no matter what happens, life goes on. For the first time in my four years at BC, not a single Swing Kids dance made the Arts Festival Dance Showcase. This isn’t because they performed poorly at auditions. While the product we offer is high quality, it is simply not the product that the Arts Council appreciates. It would not have mattered how amazing we were, they think that the campus does not want to see swing dancing. In fact, one member of the Arts Council told a Swing Kid that we “are not a performance group.” We didn’t make Arts Fest, but life goes on because we know that we were indeed worthy of performing.

Part of the reason that the Arts Council has changed its tune in the past two years is because the University Provost has requested that Arts Fest become more academic and intellectual in an effort to increase the University’s prestige in the community. With all due respect to Cutberto Garza, this idea is simply ludicrous. Our students vomit and urinate throughout Brighton and Newton. Cutting Swing Kids and almost all of the a cappella groups will not change that or make the residents of those communities forget that it happens. Arts Fest should be an opportunity for all students to showcase their diverse talents to the University community. While I have a great deal of respect for Fuego and Synergy, I have difficulty believing that they are any more intellectual and academic than the Swing Kids. Arts Fest has deviated from what it should be, but life goes on because there will be strong willed students who will challenge this new notion of what the Provost thinks Arts Fest should be.

Life also goes on for members of our athletic department. Most recently, quarterback Dominique Davis’ life went on when he inked a deal with the Atlanta Falcons. Davis initially attended BC, but he was pushed out by athletic director Gene DeFillipo when he revoked Davis’ eligibility for vague academic reasons. Flip also pushed out head basketball coach Al Skinner, who had nine returning seniors. At least two student-athletes are transferring this year because they are unhappy with the system. Flip also fired coach Jagz for dishonoring an agreement that hurt his ever-so-sensitive ego. He has shown that he cares more for himself than the revenue and competitive tradition of our athletic department.

Life goes on for members of the Lynch School community as well. For one reason or another, some members of the University, students and high-ranking administrators alike, discount the work of the professors and future educators of the Lynch School. We are one of two undergraduate schools that actually go out into the community and actively make positive impacts on the people with whom we work. We might not bring in the most money—our professional academics do bring in quite a bit, though—or make the largest salaries, but we do create and mold good people with our degrees.

Writing these columns—whether heartfelt, humorous, or irate—has been a fun, and at times a strange, ride, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I hope some of you have found a few of them helpful on your journey and that I was able to make at least a little bit of a change for the better on this campus. I hope that my successor will continue to push BC to always excel.