Column: Brown's Promotion Is Well-Deserved

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Yesterday, Boston College men’s hockey coach Jerry York announced the promotion of Greg Brown to associate head coach. The former Eagles defenseman has been with the team for eight years, including three national championship seasons.

“I am happy to elevate Greg to this new title. It is well deserved,” York said in a statement. “He has played a key role in our success over the past eight seasons. I look forward to his continued contributions as our program moves forward.”
Brown, a Southborough, Mass. native, joined the Eagles as a player in 1986, after a prep school career with St. Mark’s School. That same year, he was drafted No. 26 overall by the Buffalo Sabres. During his sophomore campaign, Brown joined the U.S. National Team, including the 1988 Olympic games in Calgary, Alberta, and therefore did not attend BC.

During his three years on the Heights, Brown became a household name in regard to college hockey. He was named an All-American first-team player in the 1989 and 1990 seasons, and is one of only two players to earn Hockey East Player of the Year twice. Brown was also up for national recognition in those years, as a Hobey Baker Award finalist. In 1990, USA Hockey named the Eagles’ captain its Athlete of the Year.

After his graduation in 1990, Brown split time between Buffalo and its AHL affiliate in Rochester. In that first season, the defenseman scored 26 points between both teams in 80 games. Then, in 1992, Brown left the Sabres organization to represent his country once more in the Albertville, France Olympics. The former Eagle continued his NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Winnipeg Jets, before finishing his last six seasons playing in Europe.

In 2004, after his 12-year playing career, Brown returned to his alma mater as an assistant coach. In his eight years of coaching with York and the Eagles, the program has become a powerhouse. Since his arrival, the team has won three national championships in five appearances, six Hockey East tournament titles, and four Beanpot crowns.

This promotion is a testament to the work that Brown has done alongside York for nearly a decade. His understanding of what it takes to have success not only in the college ranks but also in the pursuit of a professional career has made Brown a consummate player’s coach.

The work that Brown and the rest of the staff have done over the last decade has taken strong work ethic, determination, and the ability to recruit the right players. York has maintained a program that expects the highest of not only his players but his staff as well. Brown has epitomized this effort, as made known by the players’ consistent praise of his mentorship. They respect the fact that Brown has been there before them, skating on the same ice of Kelley Rink, rivaling Boston University, and playing for the esteemed Beanpot title.

Brown has inspired many collegiate and professional athletes to be the best they can be, and the results have been impressive. York has given a deserving coach the opportunity to earn recognition for his constant determination, knowledge of good hockey, and focus on the team. This promotion is one of the highest forms of praise an assistant coach can receive from a head coach. The title of associate head coach makes visible the esteem in which York holds Brown.

Congratulations to Greg Brown on this promotion. Your dedication to Eagle hockey has not gone unnoticed.