Column: Football Glory Days Long Gone

Heights Columnist

Published: Sunday, November 11, 2012

Right now, campus has returned to relative normalcy. Few vestiges remain of the events that transpired Saturday night. Lingering Notre Dame fans can still be seen in the dining hall or walking around Lower with their Boston College friends, but there are few other signs that remain.

Given the hype surrounding the game, I am surprised by how quickly this has happened. We had been waiting all season for that game. Even though Notre Dame was undefeated and we were … well, far from that, we were still excited to watch a game that we were undoubtedly going to lose. For the first time this year, the campus was overflowing with excitement for a football game.Without a doubt, that was the game of the year. That was possibly the game of my whole college career. Without a strong football program, none of our football games are intrinsically exciting. The atmosphere surrounding our football program is apathetic at best. The question most people are asking is, “How many points do you think we’ll lose by today?” Without our historic rivalry, none of our games will reach the same excitement and fan fervor of Saturday night.

Unfortunately, I don’t exactly have much perspective on the BC football program. I didn’t follow college football when I was in high school and, being from Dallas, I knew very little about BC before I came here. I knew plenty of Notre Dame alumni growing up, but never anyone from BC. I would hear people talking about UT, Texas A&M, SMU, and sometimes Notre Dame, but little else.

My roommate from Connecticut tells me things were not always as they are now. He reminisces fondly upon the “Matty-Ice” days and tells me about how successful our football program was then. His best friend in high school has an older sister who went to BC, and they would always come and tailgate on game days. He was grilling in the backyards of Mods, hanging out with senior girls, and playing cornhole before most of us even knew what the Mods were. He says it was a whole different school then. While now much of the student body ignores game day, back then, everything was about game day. Students would choose not to go abroad in the fall of their junior year, just so they could be at BC for football season. Given our current record, I find that laughable at best.

All of this makes me wonder about the future of football at BC. After attending only half of the home games last year, I was not planning on buying season tickets this year. Only after my aforementioned roommate gave me an economic breakdown of the price of a Notre Dame ticket in comparison to the whole season ticket package did I decide to buy it. I didn’t want to miss that game. Otherwise, I have only been to one other home game this year, and I highly doubt I will go next week either. I think many students feel the same way. A lot of my friends also bought season tickets just to go to the Notre Dame game. Some of them went to more of the games than I did, but I know they wouldn’t have bought tickets to go to those games. Without a Notre Dame game next year—or a better football team—who will actually be buying tickets? I know the future of BC football is quite safe. They will continue on without my friends or I going to the games. Alumni will be a lot quieter, though.