Crawley Resigns As Head Coach

Cites Health Reasons In Sudden Departure

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Monday, March 19, 2012

Boston College announced Thursday that head women’s basketball coach Sylvia Crawley has resigned her position due to health reasons. Tim Eatman, an assistant coach for the team, has been appointed as the interim head coach until a permanent replacement is announced.

“I am putting my coaching career on hold to deal with a non-life-threatening, treatable condition,” Crawley said in a statement. “I am grateful to Boston College for the opportunity to coach here. I wish the very best for the current and future student-athletes in the program.”
Before coming to BC, Crawley played for the North Carolina Tar Heels and captained the 1994 national championship team. She earned the Coaches’ MVP in that year’s Final Four and also made the All-Tournament Team. Crawley went on to coach as an assistant for Fordham University during the 2005-2006 season before heading to her home state of Ohio to coach Ohio University for two years.

Crawley became the head coach at BC in 2008 and led the Eagles to a 23-12 record, reaching the semifinals of the WNIT Championship. That same season, the squad defeated two ranked teams and Carolyn Swords made the All-ACC second team.

In her second season, the team went 6-8 in conference play and 17-15 overall. Despite the mediocre year, it was the first time since BC joined the ACC that they defeated Duke, UNC, and FSU all in the same season.

The next year the team went 23-17 overall and 5-9 in the ACC. Crawley and the Eagles finished their season in the fourth round of the NIT, losing to UVA after beating Yale and St. Joseph’s.

Crawley led the team to a 7-23 record this year, finishing her BC career with a record of 67-63 overall and 20-38 in conference play. The Eagles’ season ended in the first round of the ACC tournament against Virginia.

“Sylvia is one of the best people I’ve had the opportunity to work with,” said Gene DeFilippo, Athletic Director, in the same statement. “I would like to thank her for her hard work and contributions to Boston College basketball.”