'Creator God, Evolving Word' fits BC's mission

The talk on creationism and evolution shows commitment to our Jesuit and research-based roots

Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Boston College is both a Jesuit, Catholic University and a research institution. While the University maintains its adherence to Jesuit ideals, it also shows that it understands current research in various fields and allows students the opportunity to discuss them. The Heights therefore commends BC and its Lonergan Institute for doing just this by bringing the authors of Creator God, Evolving World, a book about how religion and evolutionary theory are not mutually exclusive, to campus on Monday for a lecture and discussion. The University stayed true to its Jesuit roots while also acknowledging the idea that evolution and creationism do not have to be two distinct theories, but are rather two theories that can support and possibly validate each other.

Evolution and creationism have always been at odds, and the debate over which of the two is “correct” continues to be controversial. By giving authors Cynthia Crysdale and Neil Ormerod the chance to speak to BC’s students, the University opened up a forum in which to discuss the evolving status of religion in today’s world. Students were given the opportunity to become more educated about what creationism and evolution really mean as theories in a safe and non-judgmental environment, allowing them to make better decisions about their own stance on the matter.

Events like this help BC students grow both spiritually and intellectually, giving them the information they need to make better sense of society’s ever-changing ideas about science and religion. The Heights encourages BC to continue providing students with similar events.