CSON Professor Recognized For Book On Bedside Practices

Published: Sunday, September 29, 2013

Updated: Sunday, September 29, 2013 19:09

Dorothy Jones Headshot

Photo Courtesy of Dorothy Jones

Dorothy Jones, a professor of adult health at the Connell School of Nursing and a Senior Nurse Scientist at Massachusetts General Hospital, received the 2013 “Best of Book Author” award from Sigma Theta Tau International, for her recently published book Fostering Nurse-led Care: Professional Practice for the Bedside Leader from Massachusetts General Hospital. Jones, who co-authored the book, received the award along with her co-authors, Jeannette Ives Erickson and Marianne Ditomassi.

Fostering Nurse-Led Care details a professional practice model based on a mutual trust and respect between the nurses and patients. According to Jones, this concept of a professional practice is one on which she, Erickson, and Ditomassi have been working for a long time.

“Now with healthcare reform, nursing is looking for practice models to talk about how their work is affecting patient and families outcomes,” Jones said. “This direction was also one of the criteria that, as it’s evolved, was essential for Magnet Certification, which recognizes excellence in nursing. We have now gone through three accreditations. It’s distinguished nursing care at the hospital.”
Jones stated that she, Erickson, and Ditomassi used their experiences at Mass General to formulate the ideas in the book. Erickson is the chief nurse and senior vice president for Patient Care Services. Ditomassi is the executive director, Patient Care Services Operations and Magnet Program director.

“Jeannette has implemented the professional practice model at Mass General for nursing, and embodied with in it that is a lot of the information covered in the book,” Jones said. “Visionary thinking on the part of Jeannette is essentially to some of this work. Marianne’s work supports Jeannette. She’s a close counterpart.”
Dean Susan Gennaro of the Connell School and Pamela Grace, a professor of the Connell School, both contributed chapters to Fostering Nurse-led Care as well. Gennaro wrote a chapter entitled “Best Practices for Mentorship.” Grace wrote “Nursing Moral Imperative.” Jones said that her experiences teaching at Boston College have impacted her approaches to writing Fostering Nurse-led Care.

“Nurses educated at a place like Boston College come to practice at Mass General and find complementation between their training and a practical scene. It’s a great continuity,” Jones said. “Seeing that has informed my decisions in developing the chapters and contributed to the development of the ideas. The people who implemented this book were visionary thinkers. They look very carefully at their commitment to patients and the quality of care.”
According to Jones, the BC nursing program has already begun to response to the new methods of nursing.

“We have already begun to make changes in some of the graduate courses and expose them to some of the concepts in the book, around professional practice, relationship-based care, and ethics,” Jones said. “Nurses play the role of advocates in a new way. The importance of speaking globally and the impact nurses can have on the global level ... These have begun to impact the way we teach. The work that went on can increase their exposure to these ideas.”
Jones stated that she, Erickson, and Ditomassi have plans for another book about the impact of nursing research on improving patient care from a clinical perspective. Jones stated that Mass General’s center for the advancement of nursing research will be detailed in the next book, as well as evidence-based practice.

Sigma Theta Tau International published Fostering Nurse-led Care. The organization is the Honor Society for Nursing, and seeks to improve public health through the advancement of research. Jones said that she is honored to receive the award, and hopes that the impact on the field of nursing will be global.

“The idea of having any work recognized by your colleagues, especially on an international level, gives an opportunity to have your thoughts presented on an international stage which gives people who might not have an exposure to this work think about patient care in a different way,” Jones said.

Jones has published many articles in the field of nursing, as well as several other books including Giving Voice to What We Know: Margaret Newman’s Theory of Health as Expanding Consciousness in Practice, Research, and Education, which was also translated into Japanese. She is on the editorial board of The Journal of Nursing Research and a Grant Reviewer of both “Harvard Catalyst Grant Program” and “Clinical Innovations Awards for Partners and Harvard University.”