EAGLE ROUNDUP: Crowther Honored By Cross Country Team

Published: Monday, September 17, 2012

There are many ways to honor someone, and sports just happens to be one of the most effective outlets to do so. The story of Welles Crowther, also known as “The Man in the Red Bandanna,” is well-known not only on the Heights, but across the United States as well.

“We wanted to honor Welles and everything he stood for,” said junior runner Daniel Kane.  “He is a true American hero, and everyone on the team was really inspired by his story.  It is people like Welles that make us feel proud to be Eagles.”

At Iona College’s Meet of Champions, the Boston College men’s cross country squad saw a fitting opportunity to pay homage to the heroic Crowther by donning his trademark red bandanna. The meet, held this past Saturday at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, NY, allowed the Eagle runners a subtle chance to ensure that the memory of one of BC’s finest would not be forgotten.

“Saturday was a really special day for our team,” Kane said. “The red bandanas were a humbling reminder of how lucky we all are, and how we can never take anything for granted.”

The event featured 14 teams, and BC, perhaps spurred on by the memory of Crowther, finished second only to Brown University.

“We opened up the 2012 cross country season with a bang,” Kane said. “With a team composed of almost all upperclassmen, we really feel this is our year to make some history. Expectations were met on Saturday, but it is really only the start to what promises to be an exceptional year.”  

Senior Jordan Hamm was the first Eagle runner across the finish line of the 8K course, as he finished an impressive second overall out of 141 total runners. Hamm’s time of 25:26.94 fell just four seconds short of the winner, Michael Heller of Kent State.

BC’s top five finishers were rounded out by Louis Serafini (fourth overall), Tyler King (11th), Anthony Bellitti (20th) and Jack Linehan (32nd). For the day, the performances earned head coach Matt Kerr’s squad 69 points. Brown won the meet with a low score of 44.

Most importantly, the strong finish for BC came in their opening meet of the still-young fall cross country season. They will look to improve on this performance on Sept. 28, when they will visit Bethlehem, Penn., for the Paul Short Invitational hosted by Lehigh University.

“We are also looking forward to running the Red Bandanna 5K in a couple weeks as a team,” Kane said. “As members of the Boston College community, we are all trying to keep the Jesuit tradition of ‘men and women for others’ alive in our own locker room as well.”

Women’s Cross Country Gets First

The No. 14 BC women’s cross country squad did even better on Saturday, dominating and winning the UMass Invitational in Amherst, Mass. The Eagles placed five runners in the top seven, and 13 in the top 15 runners overall. BC registered a team score of 19, which was 59 points ahead of second-place Stonehill.

Jillian King led the Eagles, winning the meet for the second year in a row. King finished the race with a time of 17:53.05, giving the senior back-to-back first place finishes at the Invitational.

Elizabeth Hynes placed second, as she finished eight seconds behind King. Redshirt sophomore Madeleine Davidson recorded a fourth-place finish in her BC debut, running a time of 18:20.93. Allison Stasiuk finished two seconds after Davidson, giving her fifth place.

A runner from Colgate finished in sixth place, after which nine straight Eagles crossed the finish line, placing seventh through 15th. Those runners were Morgan Mueller, Moira Kenny, Brittany Winslow, Alanna Poretta, Katherine O’Keefe, Elizabeth Predmore, Danielle Winslow, Margaret Mullins, and Sarah Lord.

Golf Competes in South Carolina

Another of BC’s unheralded sports was in action this past week, as the women’s golf team traveled to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to compete in the Golfweek Program Challenge. The Eagles fared well in the three-day event, finishing fourth out of 12 teams with a score of 914, 62 shots over par.

Isabel Southard, a freshman for BC, led the Eagles as she shot a plus-7 with a score of 220. Southard finished tied for seventh overall out of the 60 participants in the match.

The other top finishers for BC were Cristina McQuiston (226, plus-13), Katia Joo (230, plus-17), Vinh-Hoa Ngo (238, plus-25), and Kaela Klune (266, plus-53). Campbell University won the three-day Challenge, finishing with a team score of 860, good for plus-8. Central Arkansas (900, plus-48) and James Madison (906, plus-54) came in at second and third, followed by BC.