EAGLE ROUNDUP: Men's And Women's XC Teams Find Success

Published: Thursday, October 11, 2012

The men’s and women’s cross country teams highlighted a successful weekend of Boston College athletics with two dominating performances at the New England Championships. The senior duo of Louis Serafini (24:30.31) and Jordan Hamm (24:30.53) led the way for the men’s side, finishing fourth and fifth, respectively, on their way to the team’s second-place finish. Tyler King also finished inside the top 20, clocking in at 24:49.66. Anthony Bellitti (25:16.48) and Danny Kane (25:26.16) rounded out the scoring for the Eagles, who finished with a team total of 123 points.

On the women’s side, senior Bridget Dahlberg ran a personal best of 17:06.60 en route to leading the Eagles to victory for the second straight year at the event. All five of the top runners for BC finished inside the top 20, with Liv Westphal (17:10.33), Elizabeth O’Brien (17:42.96), Moira Kenny (17:43.54), and Brittany Winslow (17:50.38) all recording personal bests in the effort. The Eagles finished with an impressive team total of 45 points.

In the pool this past Saturday evening, the BC men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams traveled to Fairfield University to take on the Stags. On the men’s side, Connor Stickney led the Eagles with a couple of marginable personal victories, finishing first in both the 100-meter and 200-meter backstroke with times of 1:00.68 and 2:14.75, respectively. Senior Marty Long also impressed in the one-meter and three-meter diving events, earning scores of 272.70 and 265.35. The Eagles defeated the Stags 153-129.

The women’s team also recorded a number of their own impressive victories, sweeping the top three spots in both the 50-meter freestyle and 200-meter breaststroke events on their way to a 152-137 victory. Freshman Maureen Barron recorded a notable personal feat, completing the 50-meter freestyle in a time of 27.68, a full second in front of the second-place finisher.  

The men’s golf team traveled to the University of Notre Dame this past weekend to compete in the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic. In a competitive field, the Eagles finished tenth with a total of 889 strokes (plus-37). The three-day event saw sophomore Andy Mai finish in a personal tie for ninth place overall with a cumulative total of 218 (plus-five). Fellow sophomore John Jackopsic finished close behind, ending the tournament four strokes behind Mai at 222 (plus-nine) in a tie for 28th overall. The best personal round for the Eagles came on Monday when senior Luke Feehan shot three-under 68, tying him with five others for the best one-day round of the tournament.

The women’s team, competing in the Lady Pirate Collegiate in North Carolina, finished ninth out of 20 teams with a total of 307 strokes (plus-19) after rainy conditions forced the final two rounds of the tournament to be cancelled. Sophomore Cristina McQuiston’s two-under 70 saw her take second place overall for the tournament, with fellow teammates Isabel Southard (plus-4), Katie Joo (plus-7), and Vinh-Hoa Ngo (plus-10) rounding out the scoring.