EAGLE ROUNDUP: Men's Golf Grabs Second Place

Published: Monday, October 1, 2012

When Drew Kayser rose to the position of Boston College men’s golf coach, he stated that his goal was to “provide a rich and energetic environment in which the players of the Boston College golf teams can flourish.” On Tuesday, Kayser displayed the full force of the culture he had begun to promote.

Early in the week, the golf team traveled to Connecticut to play in the Hartford Hawks invitational. In a 16-team field, the Eagles combined for a score of 895 and 31 over par. The performance was good enough for an impressive second-place tie with Sacred Heart. The University of Hartford, however, playing on its home course, finished 11 over par to steal the tournament by a wide margin.

While no golfer finished in the top five individually, the Eagles’ depth was apparent. Sophomore Andy Mai led BC, finishing plus-4, exploiting par 3s during the tournament. The strength of the sophomore class was further displayed by Josh Jackopsic, who finished second on the team (225, plus-9), and Max Christiana, who recorded the team’s best score in the individual field (232 plus-16). Luke Feehan  (226, plus-10), Ryan Coughlin (226, plus-10), and Nicholas Pandelena (237, plus-21) rounded out the Eagles’ top five.

The Eagles will try to to capitalize on their recent success on Oct. 7, when they arrive in South Bend, Indiana for the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic. The three-day tournament is important in order to set the tone for the rest of golf season.

Cross Country Falls Short
The BC men’s cross country team started the year strong with a second place finish at the Iona Meet of Champions in early September. This past Friday, though, the Eagles took a step back. At the Paul Short Invitational, BC faced a competitive field. Located in Pennsylvania at Lehigh University, the 37-team meet played host to a group of the best teams in collegiate cross country. Despite some of the Eagles’ top runners scoring personal bests on the 8k course, BC finished 16th out of 37 with 504 total points.

Senior Jordan Hamm set the tone early with a team-best time of 24:42. Hamm’s time put himself in the top 35 out of 332 participants. Finishing close behind were Louis Serafini (52nd), Anthony Bellitti (90th), Danny Kane (153rd) and Joseph McConaughy (178th).

Villanova came away on top with an overall score of 69, blowing away runner-up William and Mary (100) and third place finisher Georgetown (101).

On Oct. 7, the Eagles look to rebound at the New England Championships in Westfield, Mass.