EAGLE ROUNDUP: Swimming Dominates Invitational

Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Boston College’s men’s and women’s swimming teams both took first place in the New England Catholic Invitational this past weekend. The women’s team was led by Emily Downs, who finished first in the 100-yard freestyle, third in the 200-yard and 50-yard freestyles, and helped her team take first in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Drew Cuttic won first in the 1000-yard freestyle for the men, and Connor Stickney was part of two relay teams that also took first in their events.

The sailing team also earned a first-place finish at the Stu Nelson Trophy regatta. The Eagles won with a total of 157 points, 33 clear of second-place finisher Tufts. Stephanie Hudson and Molly Clarke lead the A division team with 76 points, while Carolyn Naughton and Kate Wysocki took 81 as the B division team.

The men’s tennis team bowed out of the USTA/ITA Northeast Regional Championships earlier this week after the last of their members was eliminated from competition. Michael McGinnis and Jonathan Radue each won their opening singles match, and Billy Grokenberger paired with Phillip Nelson to win in doubles, but each fell in the second round and was eliminated from play.

The men’s and women’s cross country teams were impressive at the Brown University Rothenberg Race. The men’s team took fourth in the competition, as the women’s side finished first out of the five-team field in their last event before the ACC Championship kicks off.

For their performances in the race, James Newhouse and Elizabeth Hynes took home ACC Performers of the Week. Newhouse ran a personal best 26:04.9 in the 8K while Hynes finished first place in the 5k, beating 54 other runners by over 20 seconds.

Men’s golf finished sixth out of 12 teams at the Wolfpack Intercollegiate, missing out on fifth place by just one stroke. Sophomore Andy Mai posted the best score for the Eagles, finishing the tournament at plus-four overall, good for 20th place.