Eagles Flock To 2012 Career Fair

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2012

career

Jono Keedy / Heights Staff

On Sept. 20, Boston College held its annual Career Fair in Silvio O. Conte Forum from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. A total of 1,761 students, an increase of 350 students from last year’s event, attended the fair where 115 companies, BC graduate schools, and post-graduate programs had set up booths.

“We had companies trying to register [to come to the Career Fair] last night, but registration closed earlier this week,” said Louis Gaglini, associate director for employer relations.

Among the most prominently represented organizations were companies in marketing, finance, technology, television and entertainment, accounting, and non-profit, as well as volunteer opportunities.

Gaglini was the organizer of the Career Fair for the second year in a row. He expressed enthusiasm over the increase in attendance, the diversity of companies attending, and various services offered by the fair.

One of those services could be found on the cover of each pamphlet that was handed out to attendees as they walked into the fair. On the cover were a series of helpful tips such as “practice your introductions” and “dress to impress.” These tips were intended to encourage student preparedness for the Fair.

“Last year, we conducted a survey of student input after the fair. They said they wish they could be better prepared,” Gaglini said. “Some of the ways we helped prepare them were workshops on how to make a good resume and the tips on dress to impress and presentation.”

Another prominent service being offered to students was the LinkedIn photo booth. LinkedIn is a professional networking site that is used by over 175 million people across the globe. This year’s fair was the first to feature the LinkedIn booth, and 321 students had their professional portraits taken there.

“The potential to get my LinkedIn picture got me in the door,” Luke van Houten, CSOM ’15, said. “It’s important for companies to see you.”

It is that idea of getting the attention of major companies that compelled many students to come.

“It’s never too early to meet representatives from organizations even if you’re not applying,” Gaglini said. “It’s great practice, and never too early to just start networking.”

Yet, at the same time, many older students were attracted to the fair to look for jobs and internships for the summer and for after graduation. Aaron McInnis, CSOM ’14, was looking for a job in accounting. “I researched firms and really practiced my presentation,” he said. “I think I was really prepared.”

The organizations in attendance also knew what they were looking for in students. Liz Barney, LSOE ’10, represented City Year, a non-profit organization. “We’re starting a presence in BC due to the Lynch School,” she said. The organization works with underprivileged elementary and middle schools as well as ninth and 10th graders in 24 U.S. cities.

Another popular booth was ICAP, an intermediary for stock buyers and sellers. BC is one of its top recruitment schools for an eight-week internship program in New York. “Each week we rotate you to different positions in the office and cater to what you like most,” ICAP representative Margaret DeLong said.

Van Houten was particularly attracted to the program. “I looked at it and I think it’s a great first step into business.”