Emerson to Host Ferrell as Ron Burgundy

Published: Thursday, November 21, 2013

Updated: Thursday, November 21, 2013 00:11

Ron Burgundy, star of KVWN Channel 4 Action News in the hit comedy Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, will be visiting the campus of Emerson College.

On Dec. 4, for one day only, Emerson will rename its School of Communication the Ron Burgundy School of Communication. The name change is to honor the news anchor played by actor Will Ferrell, who is scheduled to visit Emerson’s campus in order to promote his new movie Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.  
The man behind the famous phrase, “You stay classy, San Diego,” is planning on sharing his “path to journalism greatness” throughout the day to communication students at Emerson.

Currently, Emerson’s big event includes a morning press conference, the official naming ceremony of the Ron Burgundy School of Communication, and an evening screening of Anchorman 2.

“Naming our school in his honor, for one entire day, compels us to honor the Ron Burgundy that’s inside all of us…to live out our dreams in full color and matching polyester,” wrote Phillip Glenn, the interim dean of the School of Communication, in a press release Monday.

After the generous invitation by Emerson, and a chance to promote his movie in the city of Boston, Burgundy also hopes to spread his love of journalism, saying, “I had to pinch myself really hard when I learned that Emerson College was naming its School of Communication for me. It’s kind of a big deal. I can’t wait to inspire students with my story of how I got to the top … the very top. I’m not going to sugarcoat it. It’s a lot of work, especially if you don’t have good hair.”
Emerson has hosted a number of prominent comedians, including Jay Leno and Denis Leary—however, the college has yet to host a celebrity of the same caliber as Burgundy.

“A visit from Ron Burgundy is a chance to engage with someone who understands the power of media, as well as hairspray, first-hand,” said Emerson President Lee Pelton.

San Diego’s top anchor is set to make his writing debut as well in his own memoir, Let Me Off at the Top! My Classy Life and Other Musings. This will be available for fans on Tuesday, Nov. 19.

Burgundy described his other business adventure as “kind of a big deal.” Burgundy is set to unveil Anchorman: The Exhibit, opening at Washington D.C’s Newseum. This display will feature multiple attractions for fans including costumes, props, footage from the movie, and even the Channel 4 Evening News desk. The museum is open now through August 2014.

The “Stay classy, San Diego” news anchor can be seen nationally in Anchorman 2, premiering Dec. 20. Emerson students will get to see Burgundy a few weeks ahead of schedule. Starting at 11 a.m. on Dec. 4, the School of Communication will begin their naming ceremony.

If you can’t make time to watch the five-time Emmy Award-winning journalist in action, don’t worry. Emerson will be broadcasting the day’s events on their website.