An Exploration Of All Brighton Campus Has To Offer

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013 00:02

There is a special yet little-known place you can go within the Boston College campus if you are up for a little walk and a change of scenery. Walk past White Mountain and Flatbreads, and continue on for about half a mile until you begin to see large buildings and friendly faces. Welcome to Brighton Campus, a 65-acre haven for theology and ministry graduate students, alumni, BC dance group members, and anyone looking for some peace of mind. First, let’s establish that Brighton Campus serves a wide range of students with different interests and needs. Some major buildings and resources on Brighton Campus include the School of Theology and Ministry, the Theology and Ministry Library, the Cadigan Alumni Center, the Brighton Dance Studio, and the Human Resources Department.

According to Angela Siegel, STM ’14, the STM is bustling with passionate students who are working toward a Masters and Ph.D. in theology and ministry. The STM has “an incredible group of professors and staff who are dedicated to their research and their students,” she said. The STM serves a diverse body of students who range in age from their early 20s to 70s, come from locations all around the world, and are in different stages of their journey of faith. Nearby, the Theology and Ministry Library holds an impressive 250,000-volume collection that is especially strong in biblical studies, Catholic theology and history, canon law, and Jesuitica. Even non-STM, undergraduate students can access and request philosophy and theology-related books from the Theology and Ministry Library through the O’Neill Library.

Now, let’s turn our attention to the Cadigan Alumni Center, fondly known as “home away from home” by the multitude of BC alumni, parents, and friends. The center hosts frequent volunteer meetings, seminars, and events for alumni and parents who are always looking for ways to give back to the BC community. They participate in the BC Alumni National Day of Service, volunteer in The Boston College Fund and at the Boston College Neighborhood Center, and support the giving societies of BC. Siegel states the Alumni Center is not only there to serve the interests of the Alumni, but is also “open to helping seniors see how they can continue to be involved at BC after they graduate.”

Our next stop is the Brighton Dance Studio, which contains a basketball court-sized dance space, mirrors, a sound system, and ballet barres. Brooke Menard, a member of the Dance Organization of Boston College (DOBC), and A&S ‘16, comments that though it would be more convenient if there were a dance studio on main campus, “The walk to Brighton is not that bad,  and the dance facility is great—we [dance group members] bond on the way over and bond on the way back,” she said. The studio is used by all BC dance groups for dance rehearsals, classes, and workshops. A special feature of the studio is that DOBC holds community classes for all BC students every week on Mondays  and Wednesdays from 5 to 7 p.m. Taught by different DOBC members, the classes help those who want to learn how to dance and those who want to improve their existing dance skills. Anyone can show up and dance.

Our last major stop is the Human Resources Department. The department offers valuable information and guidance to job applicants, new or existing employees, and even managers. The department posts available job positions online and informs applicants about the application, interview, and paperwork process. Students can come here with questions regarding pay checks, direct deposit, and federal work forms. The department also provides managers the resources and information to manage employee recruitment, documentation, and payment.

Though it seems like Brighton is all about work and no play, there are many things you can do to relax and have some fun. For those in need of spiritual grounding, mass is held every day at 12:15 in the STM Chapel (except Thursdays).

If you are looking for a bite to eat, you can walk down with friends to 129 Lake Street (where the Human Resources Department is) to find a small but fantastic dining hall called Cafe 129 that accepts BC meal plan money. The Action Station is especially delicious, with its daily changing cuisine options from tacos and noodles to soul food.

All in all, Brighton Campus is a wonderful place for STM students, alumni, dance group members, students with a lot of questions about employment, or just anyone looking to appreciate the large campus that is BC. Brighton is only a few minute walk or shuttle ride away, and offers a large variety of important services that help brighten the school.