Eagle Dates

Published: Sunday, September 16, 2012

Heights: How did you feel before your date began?

Sara: Pretty excited, I guess. It’s something different so I didn’t know what to expect. But he seemed pretty nice from our emails, so I thought it was going to be fun. I guess it’s always a little nerve-wracking when you don’t know the person, but mostly I was excited.

Heights: How did your date begin?

Sara: Umm, it was good. He was in the parking lot of Vandy and the Gate. And he was waiting by the car so I knew it was him right away. We introduced ourselves and got ready to go.

Heights: Where did you go to eat?

Sara: We went to O’Hara’s. I hadn’t been there before. He picked it. He had a bunch of places, but I said I was open to anything, and he said that this was suggested to him by a friend.

Heights: How was the conversation? What did you guys talk about?

Sara: It was mostly smooth. It was a little choppy at first while we were driving and trying to figure out where the place was. Once in the restaurant the conversation flowed smoothly. We talked about BC and what our interests were. We talked about the food and about the kinds of food we like. I’m Healthy Living so we talked about that. Even though I am in Healthy Living, I still like to splurge on foods.

Heights: Were there any awkward moments?

Sara: Not really, no. It all came pretty naturally.

HEIGHTS: Were there any interesting discoveries?

Sara: He was into sound, which I actually didn’t really expect. I don’t know why. I just didn’t get that kind of a vibe form him. He didn’t seem like a techie kind of person. He does a lot of work with acoustics.

HEIGHTS:Was this your first blind date? What did you think?

Sara: I had never been set up on a completely blind date before. It was fun. It was like what you would imagine it to be.

Heights : Where did you have dinner?

ANDREW: O’Hara’s Irish Pub in Newton Center. Delicious. You can go for 40 bucks—we made sure we got the full 40 bucks.

Heights: Were you nervous at all?

ANDREW: I was not nervous. I dressed up, I tried to make myself look nice. I actually borrowed a friend’s car and met in the Vandy parking lot and we drove from there.

Heights: How did the conversation go?

ANDREW: It was good, it was nice. Not particularly exciting. I have a really dry sense of humor and I made a lot of dry humor-type jokes that she didn’t really pick up on. She didn’t laugh at my self-deprecating humor really. We just didn’t really have any chemistry. She did take up my suggestion that she try the shepherd’s pie though, and we talked about the food a lot.

Heights: What was the most surprising thing you learned?

ANDREW: She writes for The Heights. It sounds like a conflict of interest.