He Said/ She Said

Published: Sunday, February 24, 2013

Updated: Sunday, February 24, 2013 23:02

He Said:

It’s that time of year again. On the one hand you don’t want to disappoint your friends and miss out on the fun, but on the other hand you might need some time to yourself. My advice would be to split your time. Since your roommates are going on a road trip, it might be possible to go with them on part of it, and then fly home half way through. This option may be best because then you’ll get to go on some of the trip with your friends while also getting to spend some time at home relaxing.

You might also want to consider whether or not you committed to the road trip in the first place. If you’ve been committed for a while, your roommates probably factored in costs with you as a part of the group and might be counting on you to drive part of the way. In this case, you should really go on the trip as planned because you agreed to go and would be causing some problems for your roommates if you didn’t. Chances are, even if you are tired, Spring Break with your roommates is still going to be a fun week with a lot of laughs to enjoy. Just remember, you are not going to have many chances to go on a trip with your friends after you graduate, so really try to take advantage of this unique opportunity while you can.

Finally, if you decide that you just want to go home, don’t be afraid to tell your roommates. If you explain to them what you explained to me, they’ll understand where you’re coming from here. Be honest because you have a fair point that you need some time for yourself to relax during the busy semester. They’ll probably be disappointed, but you’ll still have the rest of the semester together, so it’s not the end of the world if you don’t go.

She Said:

Spring Break is one of those things, like St. Patrick’s Day or Marathon Monday, where at BC, if you don’t feel like participating, you feel like you’re missing out on something because everyone around you makes such a huge deal about it. And then, there’s the F.O.M.O (fear of missing out) that you worry you’ll develop later on after it is all said and done. There is nothing wrong with wanting to wind down and relax over the week long break, and your friends will definitely understand. You have to go with your gut in these situations because frankly, if you’re going into a week-long road trip only half committed to the idea, you’re not going to have fun. Road trips can be pretty intense, so your heart has to be all in it. The best way to break it to your friends is early. They need to know that you’re not participating in order to go further with their plans, and if you hold off on telling them for a while and they assume you’re coming, they’ll be infinitely more pissed off than if you just back out early and are honest from the beginning. Just because you’re not planning on attending this road trip doesn’t mean you can’t have fun over Spring Break. While you’re home, treat yourself to a spa day and get a massage or start a book that you’ve been wanting to read for a while. The extra time to relax will make you feel more refreshed for the last few weeks of school, and there’s always extra time for a road trip later in life.