President Election Cheat Sheet

Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

President Obama on:

Jobs: Obama says he will improve the economy by putting more Americans to work through investments in education, research, and technology. He has set a goal of doubling American exports and creating 1 million new manufacturing jobs by the end of 2016. He would eliminate tax breaks for businesses that send jobs overseas and provide tax incentives for companies that create more jobs in America.

Higher Education: Obama plans to curtail the tuition increase rate in higher education, double Pell Grant funding, and plans for community college and business collaboration for specific training for in-demand jobs.

Healthcare: Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act requires that U.S. citizens obtain health insurance coverage or pay a penalty to the federal government. Most reforms brought about by the act, including the requirement to buy health care insurance, are scheduled to be implemented in 2014.

Gay Rights: Obama repealed the traditional military policy “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in 2011, and in May he publicly voiced his support for gay marriage.

Capital Punishment: Obama has said that though he does not completely rule out capital punishment as a form of law-enforcement, it should be reserved for “heinous” crimes.

Abortion: Obama supports a woman’s right to choose, though he has said that the proposed health care plan would not cover elective abortions.

Energy: Obama wants to work on domestic development and production of cleaner natural gas and reduce the U.S.’s independent on foreign energy sources and stop government subsidizing of oil companies.

The Deficit: Obama says he will reduce the deficit by more than $4 trillion over the next 10 years. He proposes cutting federal spending while continuing to invest in education, manufacturing, infrastructure, and clean energy.

War in Afghanistan: Obama says the U.S. is winding down the war effort and is on track to end the Afghanistan War in 2014 (his stated goal) and transfer security responsibility to the Afghan people.

Syria: Obama has called on Assad to step down, and says the U.S. government will do everything in its power to make sure that it is consulting with the allies in the region. However, Obama also wants to make sure arms do not get into the “wrong hands.”

Governor Romney On:

Jobs: Romney has stated his goal is to put 12 million unemployed Americans to work in the next four years. He says he would help make North America energy- independent, open new markets to export American products, improve the education sector, cut the deficit, get the national debt under control, champion small business by seeking tax reforms that lower tax rates for all Americans, and stop the increase in federal regulations on businesses.

Higher Education: Romney has proposed that federal educational funding, though he sees it as more of a state government issue, go to the students and their families instead of the state government, giving them the right to choose their educational path.

Healthcare: Romney would act to repeal and replace Obamacare. He would instead help create a “level playing field” for competition among the states. His plan would give states the power to come up with their own healthcare reform plansbecause he believes consumers should have the power to make their own healthcare choices.

Gay Rights: Romney has voiced his intention to make an amendment clarifying marriage as solely between a man and a woman, and has voiced his opposition to gay marriage.

Capital Punishment: Romney supports the use of capital punishment in limited situations as well, including terrorism, prolonged torture, and criminals with multiple first-degree murder convictions incarcerated for life without parole.

Abortion: Romney, when running for Senator, said he supported Roe v. Wade, and wouldn’t impose his own views on this topic on women. Yet in 2005, in his explanation about why he vetoed the contraception bill, he said, “I am pro-life.”

Energy: Romney believes he can make the U.S. energy-independent within the next eight years, through drilling, permits, and licenses, and cooperation with Canada and Mexico.

The Deficit: Romney says he would cut the deficit and get the national debt under control. He proposes capping federal spending below 20 percent of GDP and reducing the size of government by consolidating agencies.

War in Afghanistan: Romney says he would assess the situation by holding discussions with U.S. military commanders. Romney has been trying to avoid making the 2014 deadline definitive.

Syria: Romney wants more support for rebels. He has voiced his desire to help rebels who share U.S. values and “ensure they obtain” arms.